MSPaint fix needed

Qmar 17:53 16 Nov 03

I'm trying to get Paint to save as Jpg or Gif..( Reinstalled Win98 from backup)..

I tried the fixes from this site with no luck.
... : click here

[ I have a copy of the registry from another install -- can I import a specific branch from it to try to fix the problem ? and how if so. ]

Qmar 22:37 16 Nov 03

woodchip 22:44 16 Nov 03

If you have the windows disc, go to Add Remove choose windows setup click on accessaries and remove the tick in Paint then reboot computer and go through the same process to install but put a tick back in the box

woodchip 22:45 16 Nov 03

PS i Do not think it works with Jpeg or Gif

beeuuem 23:22 16 Nov 03

The Paint on my 98SE will only 'Save as' .bmp or .gif.
Unless you have a particular reason for using Paint you may find Irfanview is more flexible.
click here

kimjhon 04:58 17 Nov 03

Hi Qmar
These instructions worked for me.
(Apologies to whoever wrote it. Lost the source)

If you already have the JPEG Graphics Filter on your system (and in both locations as stated above), but MS Paint still won't let you "Save As" JPG, you can manually edit the Registry to correct this. It's a simple fix. Go to Start, Run, type REGEDIT, and click OK. Go to this key by clicking the + signs beside the keys (folders):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Graphics Filters\Export\JPEG.

Click on the "JPEG" key (folder) in the left pane, and you'll see a String Value in the right pane with the name "Extensions". Make sure under the "Data" column it shows only "jpg". If it shows "jpg, jpeg", double-click on the "Extensions" string and from the "Value data" field remove "jpeg" so that it only reads "jpg" (without the quotes).

holly polly 09:28 17 Nov 03

saved to favourites-gday all -hol pol...

beeuuem 12:17 17 Nov 03

Well - I never knew that. Tried it and it works.

I'm well impressed, Thanks dcdc.

Qmar 16:20 18 Nov 03

I tried your registry tweak - by itself it didnt work for my particular setup-- but you pointed me in the right direction...I had a copy of my systems older registry.. from this I tranfered th whole of the 'shared tools - graphics' branch to my current unfriendly registry (I deleted the whole of the corrupted branch before doing this ).
Now it works. Thanks. (Windows98:userfriendly?-not).

I have uploaded the functioning registry branch here _ > click here

----..if interested to get to the uploaded file -- goto yahoo-uk&ireland ( click here ) sign in as pcadvisor84 and at the 2nd line type 'pcad777uk'... then browse to ...
my file at :click here

..... which is part of uk,f1,pg,briefcase,yahoo,com/bc/qmar777uk

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…