M/Soft Word problems

micklemouse 08:42 23 Feb 05

Hi here's one for you guys to suss out!

I can't use Word now, because this box comes up when I try to open it from my Start/All Programs/Home Affairs route. It goes like this:

Word Script Host

Script: C\divtools\word\Word.nec
Line: 2
Char: 1
Error: Could not create object named " WScript Shell"
Code: 80040154
Source: WScript. CreateObject

If anyone can come up with a likely answer to this prob I'd be most grateful. I'm using XP SP2 with firewall and antivirus

Regards Micklemouse

Diodorus Siculus 08:49 23 Feb 05

Do a search for normal.dot

(You may have to enable viewing of hidden files.)

Rename to normal.old

Then try opening word again.

Do you have a word doc you can open?

micklemouse 09:26 23 Feb 05

welll well! thanks Diodorus ,, I have done a search on your instructions and in the hidden files I have found a Word document called Normal. If I hold the mouse over it , it reads as C:\Documents and Settings\myname\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

When I right click on it to view its properties it is indeed named Normal.dot

Is it safe to rename this? once again please say YES!!

Regards Micklemouse

Diodorus Siculus 09:30 23 Feb 05

YES

Diemmess 09:30 23 Feb 05

Yes.... Its an offshoot of winword.exe and if you delete it, winword makes a brand new version next time it is opened

micklemouse 09:40 23 Feb 05

well sorry but this didn't work. I renamed it normal.old but I still see the same window come up when I try to open Word. What's more I have now and error message come up when I try to shut down.

Diodorus Siculus 10:13 23 Feb 05

Is your version of word part of the Office suite? If so, insert the office disk and choose reapir.

micklemouse 12:53 23 Feb 05

No, it came as part of a software pack with Packard Bell

micklemouse 13:13 23 Feb 05

I have found a couple of documents and have been able to open them using Winword with no trouble. I just can't seem to open the application and this is what bugs me.

Diodorus Siculus 13:56 23 Feb 05

Is there a repair option under the help menu of Word?

sgoku 14:16 23 Feb 05

It would be worth uninstalling the program completly and then do a new install if you have the disk.
This may give you a good chance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…