M/Soft Vista

Ankermi31 15:39 07 Jul 08

My dad (aged 88) has announced he is "going surfing" after picking myself up he then told me he had got a laptop.

Anyone know of a book on how to use Vista (needs one with plenty of illustrations in it) and not a title with Senior or Idiot as he would be offended

I have looked for one but am completely lost what to go for.

Many thanks in advance

Forum Editor 16:43 07 Jul 08

your father might find it a lot easier if you gave him a few introductory lessons and left him to get on with it.

In the past I have worked with a client who got his first computer (Top of the range Sony Vaio)when he was in his late eighties, and it was a bit of an uphill battle for us both.

Has your father any previous computing experience, or is he a complete novice? If he's completely new to computing he'll need some help with concepts to start with, rather than diving straight into Vista. Most elderly people have little idea about computers, and when they first get their hands on one they are completely at sea - they don't understand what the internet is, or what it can do for them. I suggest that before your father tries to do anything you talk to him about what the internet is, and explain the underlying principles of email and web surfing. Then you can talk to him about an operating system, and explain that it is the ocean on which all other software floats. Lots of people have considerable difficulty with this concept, and it's important for your father to understand - you'll do a better job than a book, I think.

User-1229748 16:58 07 Jul 08

i agree with the fe,i was given a computer by a family member and i was messing around with it for about 9 months before i took the plunge and went online.show him some basics and let him get to grips with it before you frighten him with all the internet security stuff.hope he has many years surfing before he decides to take things easy :-)

i think vista is far more user friendly to a beginner than xp, pretty much everything has 'help' menu.
agree with the other show the basics and stand back.

chub_tor 20:51 07 Jul 08

My wife - in her mid sixties - has just got her first laptop and after months of me and her faffing around (a bit like trying to teach a family member to drive a car) she went into our local library who are giving her 5 free hour long lessons one on one. It has done wonders for her confidence and she is no longer scared of the world falling apart if she does something wrong on the keyboard.

Ankermi31 08:37 08 Jul 08

Thanks for all the replies. Here is mine!
Firstly dad and I are not in close proxmity we live opposite ends of the country. He has watched me use a computer and understands how to get into IE and Mail, plus the importance of virus protection (he has the new Norton set up).

He cannot get to a library for the freebie lessons given the nearest one is 18 miles from where he lives and anyway he is housebound. A keyboard will not be a problem he is a good piano player and reckons he can do A-Z and 1-10 ok!!

I have received one email through Yahoo so seems he has that working at least and has been told to leave Outlook til we next visit.

Back to my original question have any of you got a book in mind.

Thanks Ankermi

palinka 21:54 10 Jul 08

Well if he can accept the term "Silver Surfer" I came across one recently in our library called "How to be a silver surfer". It's published by Age Concern, I'm afraid, but it's a paperback & small & cheap (it's gone through several editions & latest one is the best). Othrwise I'd recommend any of the "IN Easy Steps " series of books, but I don't know what they publish about Vista. I'd suggest that YOU go into a bookshop that has a goodish range and browse through to pinpoint one that you feel your dad would find useful - I'd never buy a computing book without having looked at/inside it and always advise other people to do the same. Having said that, I've always found the "In Easy Steps" series to be recommendable, well illustrated, reasonably well indexed and reasonably priced. Don't know what they have about Vista.

nikef 22:25 10 Jul 08

Hi Ankermi
my daughter got me this book from the libary

the computer book
windows vista edition

i am sure you will find it here,DK click here
now i am not 1 for picking up and reading books,but this 1 is different it shows pictures as well and its not complicated,and its easy to understand to .hope this helps

ambra4 04:11 11 Jul 08

Windows Vista for Seniors: For Senior Citizens Who Want to Start Using Computers

(Studio Visual Steps)

click here

Ankermi31 08:35 11 Jul 08

Thanks for your 3 suggestions will now go and check them out today.

You have all been very helpful.

Ankermi

DippyGirl 15:28 11 Jul 08

If you live at opposite ends of the country you may want to consider some sort of remote access for helpdesk/Technical Support/Handholding like Crossloop click here Its not full of features but it does the basics. Just have to both be on the I'net.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…