msn and zone alarm

fire 22:52 28 Sep 05

i cant connect with msn and im sure there are settings to be made to overcome the use with zone alarm can anybody help pleeeeese

Stuartli 23:09 28 Sep 05

Have you given ZA permssion to access MSN?

You may have to do it by Browsing to the MSN link and granting permission.

Stuartli 23:13 28 Sep 05

Try these guides:

click here

click here

There are many more.

keith-236785 08:06 29 Sep 05

open zone alarm, goto program control/programs, find the msn entry, right click and select remove. restart msn and zone alarm should ask what you want to do with the newly found MSN program. you should click on allow and put a tick in the always do this box.

mine is set to (by default)

trust level = restricted (single bar)

Access = trusted (allow) internet (allow)

server = trusted (allow) internet (ask (question mark))

just for reference and if you want to set it manually. I use Zone Alarm Pro, not sure if the free one gives the same options but worth a look.

good luck

keith-236785 08:07 29 Sep 05

oops, should have said

the above are the settings for MSN Messenger
in my zone alarm.

Sirpad 23:46 26 Oct 05

Just came across this...nice to know about the MSN quirk.
Question from me.....how do I get Zone Alarm and would I need to turn off the XP firewall if I do get it?

Sirpad 09:54 27 Oct 05

Did some seaching. Looks like you can get Zone Alarm from Zonealarm dot com and Zonelabs dot com. What's the preference? Both sites look different!

keith-236785 10:48 27 Oct 05

click here is the official site for zone alarm, the other one may be one of those that wants to charge you for a free product (as some crafty sites do) zone alarm will overide windows firewall (there is a setting in ZA that asks if you want to turn off windows firewall but it is set to by default)

hope that helps

keith-236785 10:50 27 Oct 05

click here for the download page

i have just checked and when using Zonealarm dot com it takes you to zonelabs site so either is ok.

Sirpad 23:22 27 Oct 05

One more question..

I've been told that when I download and install Zone Alarm I should then de-activate the XP firewall.
Is this correct?

keith-236785 19:30 01 Nov 05

as far as i am aware, ZA disables the windows firewall, if not then go turn it off yourself. you dont need it with ZA, the windows firewall only protects one way (inward threats)

windows firewall does not stop any spyware/adware/virus/trojans from accessing the internet without your knowledge.

let ZA manage the windows firewall, if you ever have need to turn off ZA, your windows firewall should kick in again (a bubble appears near the clock warning you of no firewall, says click here to remedy the problem....clicking on the bubble opens the windows XP firewall settings page

give it a try and see, right click on ZA and choose shutdown ZA, a few seconds later the bubble will appear.

dont forget to turn back on the zone alarm (start/all programs/Zone Labs/ Zone Labs security) .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…