MSN Messenger, Zonealarm and networked PC's

bon bon 19:50 22 Aug 04

I have three PC's networked via ethernet/ethernet hub to another PC that's connected to a common printer and broadband internet. All PC's run Windows XP. I'd like to use Zonealarm to provide a better firewall than the one provided with XP.
Which PC's do I install it on?
What settings do I have to make to Zonealarm so that each PC can still use MSN Messenger?
Are there any other changes I need to make?

gw 08:12 24 Aug 04

Download ZA and read their tutorial and other stuff.

gw

Rigga 09:21 24 Aug 04

FYI.. The Free version of ZoneAlarm, does NOT permit Internet Connection Sharing.

ZoneAlarm Pro does.

R.

microswift 12:26 24 Aug 04

The free version zone alarm does allow internet connection sharing. I have a similar setup to bon bon using a router rather than a hub, you can install zone alarm on all pc's, after installation when messenger try's to access the internet zone alarm will ask if you want to allow it to do so, click allow and put a tick in the "remember my answer box.

Rigga 12:45 24 Aug 04

Microswift,

I have the same setup as you using a router/modem to share the Internet connection. This is not what I meant when I said "ZoneAlarm Free does not permit Internet Connection Sharing".

If you use a normal ADSL modem, either PCI or USB, only one computer has access to the modem. This access needs to be shared, which is called ICS (Internet connection Sharing). The free version of ZoneAlarm does not permit this kind of sharing.

Or if it does then I couldn't get it to work.

Which is why in the end I brought a router/modem, and share that way.

From what bon bon said in the original post, he/she is running ICS on a machine connected to a ASDL modem.

Again if it does work i apologise and stand corrected.

R.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…