MSN Messenger vs Skype (for audio)

LMcG 23:21 13 Oct 04

I recently bought a web cam (BOGOF)with built in microphone. We can see each other using MSN but not speak to each other, the audio does not seem to work. Someone suggested MSN for video and Skype for audio which worked very well (a bit of an echo at one end, probably a local problem re speakers etc but any advice would be welcome!) Anyone any idea why there is no audio on MSN? It had been suggested we needed full duplex soundcards but as we can interrupt each other on Skype it would seem this is not the problem. I know there are other postings about no audio with MSN but they are a wee bit old and someone might have an answer who has not read older postings.

Audeal 00:06 14 Oct 04

LMcG: Many of us have experienced The same problems with MSN Messenger. I downloaded Firefly, which is an Australian Internet Telephone service similar to the Skype that you mention. I used Messenger to view the web cam and Firefly to chat.

I did find that when using both these programs the camera tends to use a lot of the computers resources and causes the audio to break up and can sometimes be so bad that it is impossible to hear the other persons conversation.

I have not heard of Skype before today and I do intend to give it a try when I can persuade some of my family to follow suit. Being able to transfer files will be an advantage over Firefly as you can't do that with Firefly.

I do think the only way to use both programs successfully is to have a good, fast setup. I have 1gig Processor and 512mb of Ram on my XP Pro. and that seems to slow to do the job properly. More Ram and a faster Processor might sort it out. I chat to my brother in Australia and we no longer use the camera, so now we have no problems chatting to each other, we just can't see each other.

anchor 09:41 14 Oct 04

You could also try Yahoo messenger; seems to work with both video and audio.

Hamish 21:18 14 Oct 04

Did not see your posting. I have just started using Skype and finding it very good for audio but have just posted a question asking if anyone had used it between a dialup user and a broadband user

Have you tried disabling your firewalls when using audio within messenger?

I'm sure my father has to disable Zonealarm when he uses the ausio

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…