msn messenger upgrade, 5 to 6

Grambo 20:25 24 Aug 03

I had an email from msn saying there was a security alert if running version 5. I have downloaded v6 but havent installed files as i would like to know if it will auto overwrite ir retain address book etc. Is this security problem a big deal? OS is XP
Thanks

Conny 23:29 24 Aug 03

I installed V6 a few weeks ago and seem to remember it automatically deleted V5. Retained all my passwords and address book as well. Touch wood I've had no probs.

Way1 23:57 24 Aug 03

I did same as Conny and no problems so far.

User-312386 00:00 25 Aug 03

run version 4.7 and 6 side by side

Grambo 19:40 25 Aug 03

Thanks for all the help. Installed files for v6, but i now i have 2 icons. Progams listed in control box tell me v6 is there ok, so how do i delete 'old' icon from system tray. Out of sight out of mind and all that
Thanks again

chrishillcoat 20:07 25 Aug 03

Right-click on the arrow hiding your icons and choose properties, then customise "hide inactive icons" - from here you can choose to hide the old program, or go to Contol Panel > Add/Remove Programs and get rid of v5.

Chris

Audeal 20:17 25 Aug 03

I installed version 6 a few weeks ago. Tried to have a video chat with my son who lives locally and also my brother in Australia but could not get any audio. We could see each other OK but no sound. We went over to Yahoo and all was OK. I still prefer Messenger but no good without sound. I would sure like to know how to fix it.

so3003 20:19 25 Aug 03

my understanding of MSN is that the stuff you download is only the "access" software you use to view the info that's stored online in your MSN Passport. Just like when you get a new version of a web browser, nothing about the pages you view changes, the software you use is just a bit cleaner / funkier etc etc.

Scott

Garfiki 11:55 28 Aug 03

Audeal you said you started a video chat with your son and brother but when you click webcam youhave to click audio as well to get the sound along with the video, Hope i solved your problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…