MSN messenger nudge query

CurlyWhirly 20:20 11 Jun 06

This isn't a big deal I know but I'm just wondering how I can get the 'nudge' sound back in MSN Messenger as when someone sends me a nudge, the screen vibrates as usual but no sound is heard.

This happened around a month ago when I migrated to Zen and uninstalled the AOL software.

I have tried uninstalling MSN and re-installing it but the problem remains so I have come to the conclusion that an XP setting has changed somehow.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers :)

rsinbad 21:02 11 Jun 06

open messenger go to tools select messages make sure you have a tick in allow me to send and receive nudges

CurlyWhirly 21:48 11 Jun 06

I've just checked and that option *is* already ticked.

Never mind.

rsinbad 21:59 11 Jun 06

ok open alerts and sounds make sure the boxes are ticked if they are click sounds then scroll down to the bottom you should see nudge highlight then click the little arrow next to browse to see if it makes the sound

CurlyWhirly 22:15 11 Jun 06

I did see the Nudge option in Sounds but couldn't see any little arrow next to it and so couldn't play it.

click here

However the nudge.wav file *is* in C: Program files/MSN Messenger and it *does* play when I double click it (in Windows Media Player) so I don't understand why it doesn't play when I send or receive a nudge in MSN Messenger itself?

I have sometimes been sent a nudge and people think that I am being ignorant as I don't acknowledge it but if MSN Messenger is minimised to the taskbar then I don't even get a screen shudder to alert me (as well as no sound).

Thanks for trying to help BTW ;)

rsinbad 22:25 11 Jun 06

try same plce and browse for nudge sound should be C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\nudge in sounds space yoyour test button is greyed out implying sounds are not set

rsinbad 22:27 11 Jun 06

when u find it d/click thenyou will have a apply button at bottom

CurlyWhirly 22:36 11 Jun 06

Success at last, that worked!

I don't know how uninstalling AOL could have affected that particular XP sound setting but it is working again now and that's all that matters.

Thanks for your help :)

rsinbad 22:38 11 Jun 06

thats good you'll probably get fedup with the noise now lol

CurlyWhirly 22:44 11 Jun 06

I may well get fed up with the noise but at least I will know when someone is nudging me LOL

Incidentally the 'Contact online' sound was also not working as it didn't have a speaker icon next to the sound setting but it also works now after following your guide on what to do.

I only just realised that the sound when one of my MSN contacts signs in had disappeared - doh!

Thanks again ;)

rsinbad 22:51 11 Jun 06

the best thing you did was to get rid of AOL kinda takes over your computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…