MSN Messenger 6.1 v Windows Messenger

sueanne 16:51 24 Nov 03

I have both versions on my pc and when i sign it they conflict with each other and keep signing me out saying "you have been signed out of messenger cos u are signed in at a different location" Is there any way round this problem as I understand windows messenger cannot be deletd and I prefer to use MSN version?

Thanks

Stuartli 17:22 24 Nov 03

If you just using these programs for chat purposes why not switch to Trillium?

It will work with the vast majority of chat programs such as ICQ, AOL etc and is very easy to configure.

Jester2K II 17:27 24 Nov 03

Control Panel, Add / Remove Programs, Add / Remove Windows Components, Uncheck Windows Messenger, Click OK.

Should remove Windows Messenger and not MSN Messenger. Also should stop the message...

sueanne 17:46 24 Nov 03

Thanks for info. Have tried to uninstall windows messenger but it not in my add/remove box. I was told that it is part of windows and cannot be deleted. Is this correct?

Jester2K II 17:56 24 Nov 03

Read my posting above again.

Open Add / remove programs then on the left there are 4 buttons, the third one should be Add / Remove Windows Components. Click this and then Uncheck Windows Messenger from the list...

sueanne 18:23 24 Nov 03

Thanks Jester2K II
Have tried that but it not there!

Jester2K II 18:24 24 Nov 03

What isn't?

Jester2K II 18:25 24 Nov 03

What version of Windows are you using? Are you logged in as an Administrator?

sueanne 18:28 24 Nov 03

windows messenger does not appear. Have windows xp operating system and yes am an administrator

anchor 20:18 24 Nov 03

Yes, I had exactly the same problem. Someone, I forget who, posted this, and it works!. It will delete Windows Messenger, and leave MSN messenger.

Click start, select run, and type in

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

click OK

anchor 20:25 24 Nov 03

Here was the original thread. (The method I posted from the Daily Telegraph did not work).

click here

The one from Powerless did.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…