MSN Messenger

dogbreath1 07:53 07 Oct 08

Very occasionally I used Windows Live Messenger 8.1.

Sometimes during a chat session, a stranger may try to start a 'conversation'. It's not a problem, but I was wondering how I can be seen to be on-line by strangers if I do not appear in their contacts list?

birdface 09:05 07 Oct 08

If not on your contacts list they should not be able to contact you.

dogbreath1 09:14 07 Oct 08

That's what I thought...

...next time one of these strangers crops up, I'll ask him! ;D

birdface 09:27 07 Oct 08

I would wait till someone else can help.I very seldom use MSN But I have never had anyone else contact me if they were not in my Contacts list.As far as I know they have to contact you asking if you want them on your list.maybe you have clicked Ok at one time.But easy enough to check,go into your contact list and see if they are there.

dogbreath1 11:15 07 Oct 08

On the occasions that this has happened, the first thing I'd notice would be a conversation box popping up. The user name of the other person would be visible but not their display picture.

Neither the email addies or user names of these folk appeared in my contacts list.

It has occurred to me that either my son or daughter may previously have used my account to chat to their mates and that is how I've been added in elsewhere.

birdface 12:18 07 Oct 08

Yes I had that years ago I think it was Windows messenger 5.4 or Windows explorer. something like that.That my grandaughter had been using it and never switched off.It was set to open when computer started.Maybe someone else can think of it but it was a while back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…