MSN Messenger

Dirty Dick 17:26 15 May 04

How do I stop MSN Messenger from loading at start-up AND also I have upgraded to Messenger 6.1 but the OLD version (4.??) keeps loading. How do I change them around.
Thanks

VoG II 17:28 15 May 04

The old one will be Windows Messenger click here

johnnyrocker 17:36 15 May 04

what os?

johnny.

Mankster 17:47 15 May 04

Go Start/Run/ and type in the box msconfig
then click the startup tab, and if you see msn messenger there remove the tick and reboot pc,when your pc starts it will show a text box explaining what you done in diagnostic setup , just put a tick in the box to stop that message showing every time you start your pc.

Mankster 17:53 15 May 04

as for the old version try this

Start- Run - type

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

press ENTER

and that would remove the old messenger.

But won't this remove your new msn?

Satmansq 18:07 15 May 04

4.7 is the latest version of WINDOWS MESSENGER, and 6.1 is MSN MESSENGER, they are not 2 versions of the same software, although they appear to be.

en1gma12 18:33 15 May 04

To stop msn messenger from loading at startup, open your messenger box that shows all your contacts, at the top click TOOLS then OPTIONS at the bottom of the list. Once in there click the GENERAL tab and the top box will say 'automatically run messenger when I log onto windows' untick this box. I found that just unticking the box in msconfig didn't stop it because whenever I used messenger, it just put itself right back in again.

Kat.

Dirty Dick 18:34 15 May 04

Windows XP Pro

johnnyrocker 19:00 15 May 04

if it is windows messeger you want to stop as opposed to msn messenger go to add/remove programs in control panel click on remove windows components on the left hand side and when it opens up scroll down to messenger and untick, job done.

johnny.

AubreyS 19:25 15 May 04

Just for info. The latest version of MSN Messenger is 6.2 and if anyone has had problems with voice on MSN like myself and others that I know, it now seems to have been rectified.

JGG 20:45 15 May 04

Further suggestions already posted....

An easy fix to prevent Messenger starting at startup is to go to your program files and look for the Messenger folder and rename it from Messenger to Messengerdisabled. This tricks windows as it can't find it to load. You will need to completely disable Messenger from running in order to be allowed to change the Messenger file name. This way you have the option of restoring the folder name if ever you want to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017