MSN Messenger

goll_y 18:17 27 Apr 04

For some reason, for the last couple of days it seems my MSN Messenger may have been hacked into. The original contacts I could talk to have disappeared, only to be replaced by a few random names!! Quite annoying since more appear everytime I access the internet.

How do I get my original contacts back and permanently delete the old ones? It is still my username and password.

Have tried deleting and reloading programme

goll_y 18:35 27 Apr 04

Is it possible someone could have the same hotmail address as me?

poogles_uk 19:49 27 Apr 04

Dunno, hacked amybe. change ur pasword, there is no way to get contacts back

QuickHare 19:58 27 Apr 04

It is not possible for two people to have the same address, but it is possible someone has found out your username and password.

It can also be a corruption of the contact list on MSN's part. click here to send an email to someone who can help.

FRANKMAC 21:40 27 Apr 04

goll_y

did you by any chance have a "pop up" appear on your screen recently, saying that there was an update available, and have you clicked yes to get the updates? if you did then you is probably the cause of your problems. I did and it caused havoc with my whole PC, a virus, browser high jacked, not to mention loads of desktop icons, loads of new favourites added to my list etc etc etc...

cdb 22:56 27 Apr 04

but there was an update recently, to vers6.2.

QuickHare 13:25 28 Apr 04

It is possible for a virus or spyware to hijack MSN Messenger and Yahoo! Messenger, ICQ, AIM and even mIRC using API calls.

Yes, there was an update to 6.2. I'd uninstall MSN Messenger, delete any left-over files from Program Files (if installed there - most likely has been), and download it again. You can do this if you click here .

Also use any anti-spyware to lookthrough your computer, such as Spybot's Search and Destroy (found on most coverdiscs from PC Advisor) and do a thorough virus check before reinstallation of MSN Messenger.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…