MSN .com Disply picture

Cesare 11:57 01 May 06

I have Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180_xpsp_sp2.

Since I installed updates this morning KB905474 my MSN display picture is alongated. Items are shown one below each other ! Msn now tells me that,' The browser cannot find our style & presentation information and as a result may not display the page properly. The remedy this, upgrade your browser to the latest version..... Well, I think this is the latest version. I tried IE7 and uninstalled it as it was giving me trouble. Any help appreciated.

ACOLYTE 12:20 01 May 06

Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications notifies you if a copy of Microsoft Windows XP is not genuine. The notification messages are displayed only on computers that have failed the Windows Genuine Advantage validation process and that are running a copy of Windows XP that is not genuine. If you are running a validated, genuine copy of Windows XP, you will not receive notification messages.

So you don't really need to get this update if you have a genuine copy of windows.

If you downloaded any program, IE: Windows Defender, MS does a check to confirm your copy is legit. This is stored on the system. So your system is identified later on as having been confirmed as being a genuine copy of Windows for future updates and downloads.

Just my opinion others may disagree).

Having said all that i have downloaded and installed this update and have had no detrimental effects from it,so there may be a simpler solution that simply not installing the update.

This update i think was introduced because someone found a way to "crack" the windows genuine validation thing by altering javascript code or somthing.

Cesare 13:42 01 May 06

Thank you for your kind reply. I solved the problem by going to Restore point, and all is fine. I think that some error occured during downloading and installing the update. This never happened to me before, as I never had any problem with MS windows updates. Best regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…