MSN Browser HIjack - but not really?

De Marcus™ 13:02 18 Jun 06

I've got a really irritating problem. I was doing a fresh install of XP pro yesterday and once completed and some antivirus and firewall apps installed I find my IE homepage is stuck to MSN, no changes are remembered whatsoever, I tried, fixing IE, uninstalling it, repairing XP, editing the registry all to no avail? Today I went for the fresh format and reinstall of XP and I'm still stuck!

I've scanned with ewido, sybot, defender, adaware and avast, and even used hijackthis, still the same, MSN homepage. It's driving me up the wall, any ideas?

VoG II 13:04 18 Jun 06

In Ad-aware, click the 'cog' (configuration button), Defaults, set your desired homepage.

De Marcus™ 13:05 18 Jun 06

Trying that now, thanks VoG™

Jak_1 13:08 18 Jun 06

This may sound daft but, did you click the 'apply' tab when you made the changes in the control panel?

De Marcus™ 13:11 18 Jun 06

Nope, tried it, still MSN, I've five hairs left on my head.

De Marcus™ 13:11 18 Jun 06

Yes Jak_1.

VoG II 13:12 18 Jun 06
  De Marcus™ 13:16 18 Jun 06

Just checked my task manager, all seems fine, ran regscrub, few problems (6) fixed them, still no further forward :-(

De Marcus™ 13:51 18 Jun 06

Just downloaded and installed IE7 on this machine thinking it would 'fix' it. It didn't.

Does anyone know the registry entry that would stop MSN from becoming the default home page, or at least edit it so my preffered home page is shown instead?

De Marcus™ 14:06 18 Jun 06

Searched the registry for all entries pointing to msn.com and changed them, rebooted and still no difference, this is really frustrating. I'll be moving to firefox shortly, something I didn't want to do because I liked (past-tense) IE so much.

De Marcus™ 18:20 18 Jun 06

Sorted, went for another complete reinstall, all seems fine, for now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…