MSN _ Audio conversation

Granddad Al 19:10 20 Nov 03

Can anyone advise me on grtting a sound conversation going on MSN. I can get a good video connection but no matter what I can't get audio. I'v edone all the usual setup etc and so have the people at the other end but to no avail.

Thanks

(Please don't tell me to use Eyeball Chat, I'm having problems with themas well but that's another story)

johnnyrocker 19:27 20 Nov 03

have you run the tuning wizard and do either of you have a firewall?

johnny.

johnnyrocker 19:28 20 Nov 03

have you tried net meeting? and do you both have the same version of messenger.

johnny.

critic-al 19:34 20 Nov 03

Make sure your sound card is full duplex,
and as for msn audio conversation,they still have not cured all the problems with uk users,some areas are ok but in others still have problems i have been told by m/soft,

Most voice problems within Messenger are related to firewall or network settings.

FirewallsYou can use the Voice features of MSN Messenger if you are behind a Universal Plug and Play (or UPnP) firewall or are using Universal Plug and Play (or UPnP) Network Address Translation (NAT) with your home PC. An example of an UPnP firewall\NAT is Windows XP ICS (Internet Connection Sharing).

If you have a personal firewall installed on your PC, please:

Verify with the manufacturer of your PC that the firewall is UPnP compliant.
Try disabling your firewall and making a PC-to-PC/PC-to-Phone call. If you are able to complete your call successfully with your firewall disabled, it is likely that your firewall is not UPnP compliant.
Check with the manufacturer of your firewall to see if a UPnP version is available. If it is not, you will be unable to access the PC-to-PC/ PC-to-Phone voice features with your current firewall.

One exception to the UPnP firewall requirement is for users behind an ISA Firewall Server. This is a corporate class firewall and you should either consult your corporate Helpdesk or consult your ISA Firewall Server documentation for more information.

If you have any questions on whether you are behind a firewall or what type of firewall it is, please contact your ISP or corporate Helpdesk.

Network Address Translation (NAT)

MSN Messenger PC-Phone features should work behind most Network Address Translation (NAT) devices or software. There is, however, a chance that certain implementations of the NAT standard by some manufactures could be broken.

To ensure the best results when using NAT, make sure you have the latest version of both the firmware and software. These should be available from your NAT manufacturer's Web site. For more information on updating your device or software, please refer to the documentation that came with your NAT.

Other problems not related to firewalls or NATIssues with your firewall or NAT are the most common reasons why the PC-to-PC/PC-to-Phone features do not work. Even if you are not aware of a firewall or NAT on your computer, it is possible that your Internet Service Provider (ISP) is using one. Please contact your ISP to verify this.

You need to have a full duplex soundcard for full PC-to-PC and PC-to-Phone functionality

Granddad Al 09:36 21 Nov 03

Thanks guys. I'll try all these sugestions

click here

Not yet resolved, for me anyway.

Granddad Al 14:11 21 Nov 03

I've disabled my firewall (Norton) and everything seems fine now. Thank you everyon who helped.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…