msmsgs.exe - Unable To Locate Component

arrow 10:49 08 Jan 09

I run Windows XP home with Norton I.S.2008 and Spybot Search & Destroy, (both run daily and regularly updated), and C Cleaner weekly. Last week the HP Scanner icon disappeared from the desktop, and also from the programmes. I re-installed the software and restored function, since when each time I enter my password on booting up I get the above message, followed by "This application has failed to start because gdiplus.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem. OK"
I click OK, the window disappears, and all appears normal, until I open my Calendar on MS Works, and find it completely blank, past, present and future. Please HELP. Arrow.

Technotiger 11:09 08 Jan 09

I think your problem amy be solved by running click here

arrow 14:32 08 Jan 09

Technotiger. Many thanks for your help. I did as you suggested and ran a full scan, which failed to find any malicious items, and the problem still exists. What do I do next please? Arrow.

Technotiger 20:50 08 Jan 09

Hmm, there seems to be many reasons for this message, perhaps if you have a look among this lot, you might find a solution.

Or - you could try a System Restore back to before this message first appeared.

brundle 20:55 08 Jan 09

Run a system file check. click here. Have your XP CD handy.

Run a disk check; click here

arrow 11:19 12 Jan 09

Hello technotiger and brundle,
Thank you both for your patience. I create a new restore point every Sunday, and have gone back as far as early Nov, but it says there have been no changes!! However, when I tried to make a new entry in the calendar this am, it did nothing, but when I entered it again it accepted it, and the entire calendar came back, much to my delight. However, I still get the same message after typing in my password on boot up. However, I also have Acronis true image back up from Nov. (I think), but I assume it would be necessary to wipe clean the hard drive before re-installing, and I don't know how, or if it is worth the trouble just to get rid of the window on bootup which goes away by clicking OK. Please advise a computer dinosaur. Many thanks, Arrow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…