msimg32.dll

dvdcllns 08:31 09 Mar 10

I've recently been involved in a virus scare on a corporate network where the file msimg32.dll was erased when the log in protocol was run, i.e. when the machine was rebooted. After reboot a message box informed that a file had been modified, accept or deny etc. Restore was unavailable, add + remove programs was also unavailable. Likewise, it was not possible to run any anti-virus scans. The left info pane in Control Panel had a black background rather than the usual shade of blue.
I don't need a solution, it's fixed, but any ideas just which particular nasty was responsible for it? When fixing the problem the ID of the culprit wasn't obvious.

Graphicool1 09:29 09 Mar 10

It's highly unlikely that you will get a definitive answer to this question. All you can do is install software to protect the system generally, against many - if not all - attacks. I use...

AVAST Anti-Virus....(Free)
Spyware Terminator..(Free)
Ashampoo Firewall...(Free)

Being a business, although you can still have the second two free. You would have pay for 'Avast'.

They do it for me and have been for a few years now. However no-one can afford to be complacent. You still have to keep you finger on the pulse. If it skips a beat, move fast and take immediate action!

dvdcllns 09:35 09 Mar 10

Thanks Graphicool1
A couple of machines were 'rescued' before a reboot using Sophos.
I just wondered if anyone else had come across this particular file erasure problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…