MSIEXEC on install or uninstall

Jonah(without the whale) 09:23 17 Mar 05

Helllllp
I installed (by mistake (don't ask, I was silly) Office 97 on a PC running XP. I unistalled Office 97 and installed Office 2000 instead. Almost at the end of the install process I get the message that the Windows Installer has prematurely terminated. Windows XP generates an error report highlting an error with MSIEXEC.EXE.
I thought - I will unstall Office 2000 and install it again - no chance - I can now not uninstall Office 2000, and when I try to install it again (over the first attempt) I still get the message. All the suggests on Advisor seem to exclude MSIEXEC with Windows XP. Any ideas what I ned to do please?

VoG II 09:26 17 Mar 05
  Jonah(without the whale) 09:46 17 Mar 05

Thanks VoG - I am not at home with the machine right now, but I have visited the place you have suggested and the information seems to address the problem. I will do the job this evening.

I am curious as to what MSIEXEC.EXE acutally is - is it not a component or part of XP - the information you have provided seems to suggest that it is part of an installer that belngs to the program being installed?

Cheers

iambeavis 10:29 17 Mar 05

MSIEXEC.EXE is Windows Installer.

Jonah(without the whale) 11:02 17 Mar 05

Thanks iambeavis. Your help is really appreciated.
I do have another question though.
If MSIEXEC is a windows installer, does that mean it is a standard program shipped as part of XP, or shipped as part of, in my case, Office 2000.

If it is not part of XP and I need to install other programs too, does that mean other programs will include their own version of MSIEXEC?

Issues like this are the ones that really tax the nerves of non-techies like me.

iambeavis 11:27 17 Mar 05

MSIEXEC.EXE is part of XP and is utilised by some applications to install themselves. Different applications use different installers; that's the sum total of my knowledge of installers, imperfect as it may be.

Jonah(without the whale) 11:41 17 Mar 05

Thanks iambeavis - your sum total of installers may be imperfect and perhaps it is, but by passing it on to me you have improved my knowledge by 100 per cent.
Some people say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but I have found that sometimes, a little comes in very handy when you're trying to get a "handle" on a problem.
Many thanks.
I now have much more confidence to pursue the advice ofered by VoG

Jonah(without the whale) 21:18 17 Mar 05

Well folks, thnanks to your help I think I may have at least installed Office 2000 - but since I have the Premium edition and not standard, that the Installer Cleanup addresses, I may still have problem, but it does not seem that way.
when I ran the installation of the clean up, it reported (during it's own installation) that one of my installations was "suspended" and promptly unsuspended it. Then I followed the instructions and Office was uninstalled. Then I tried to install it again and had the original problem several times. Deciding to install only some of offe, leaving out Access, I found that the install worked, but then appeared to install access anyway. When I click on its icon it produces the installeer message. I definately excluded it from the install, so that's where I may have a problem. At the moment all seems OK, but one of the manifestations of my original problm, which was my PC spontaeiously restarting, which appears to have been caused by the Office 97 gaff, was my printer locking up and the PC restarting, so - the next few days will tell.
Thaks for your help guys. I am very grateful - I think you've helped enormously.
Cheers

Jonah(without the whale) 17:51 27 Mar 05

Well folk, all attempts failed - I tried the downlaod from M-soft, but I was running office 2000 premium so I think that was a proble.However,back to the shop for the machine - major surgery appears to be necessary, and it's had lots of work on it, and now they have reached the point where Windows XP and all other programs will probably have to be re-installed.
The problem seems to be the installation of Office 97 (by accident) which has prevented complete removal.
I'll update this incident wth the end result.
Meantme, thanks for your help.

Jonah(without the whale) 20:55 06 Apr 05

The shop formatted the hard drive and reinstalled XP home, and then installed all updated for my Office, and returned the machine to me - Word and any other program would not start due to a missing DLL.
I'm now getting cheesed off.
I have now uninstalled everything to do with office (see another posting) but still cannot load office 2000 Premium - the install seems to happen and complete but when I open Word it fails and closes down. Something to do with winword.exe and a couple of other things. I am resolved to buy another later (and not a copy) of office. But how will I know I can install that? KLuck I suppose, but it's pricey!
Thnaks for you help guys.

Jonah(without the whale) 20:55 06 Apr 05

The shop formatted the hard drive and reinstalled XP home, and then installed all updated for my Office, and returned the machine to me - Word and any other program would not start due to a missing DLL.
I'm now getting cheesed off.
I have now uninstalled everything to do with office (see another posting) but still cannot load office 2000 Premium - the install seems to happen and complete but when I open Word it fails and closes down. Something to do with winword.exe and a couple of other things. I am resolved to buy another later (and not a copy) of office. But how will I know I can install that? KLuck I suppose, but it's pricey!
Thnaks for you help guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…