msi6323 Motherboard installation problem

TonyM 00:08 27 Feb 03

On Monday I helped upgrade a friends machine and replaced his m/board. - with no problem... he gave me his old board (MS6323 v1 , with Pentium III 800Mhz chip) to use to upgrade one of my machines. The board was working fine when we took it out of his machine.

Now I come to install it I have connected everything as I think it should be ( I have done quite a few similar upgrades in the past) but when I turn the power on (at the wall socket) the case fan, and the cpu fan start up WITHOUT ME PRESSING THE POWER SWITCH , and there is a small LED on the board itself lit but the machine makes no attempt to boot..

There are no beeps, no hard drive noise ...nothing.

The only other card I have put on the board is an AGP graphics (seated correctly)

I thought it might be shorting out somewhere, so I tried with the fibre washers on the topside of the mounting holes, and underneath - no difference.

I have noticed that the pin configuration on the connector for the powere switch/reset switch/hard drive led etc is slightly different ( by one pin) to that shown in the manual I downloaded from the microstar website... so maybe I have the connectors in the wrong places ?

If I put my old board back in ( msi 6160 with celeron 333) it works fine so the PSU, power switch etc are all OK ... (with this board the fans don't start up until I press the power switch ....which is normal).

Anyone got any ideas as to why :

1) With the new board the fans run straight away without me pressing the power switch, but nothing else happens ?

2) Can anyone with the same board confirm the correct wiring connections for the power switch/reset/hard drive LED etc ?

3) any other suggestions ?

TonyM 18:55 27 Feb 03

Just about to start another evening trying to get this thing to work ....surely someone has an idea ?

AMD 4 ever 19:14 27 Feb 03

I had loads the same as most oters here...be patient and we will get you there.
Try the following:
Remove all case coonectors to the mobo and leave the Power or MBR Switch connected, if dont boot turn it around.
Try another graphics card.
Do not connect the psu up, then put the cable back in once ready to boot.
Reseat the RAM, or try in another pos/slot.

for starters..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…