MSI P965 Neo-F and WinXP Pro install BSOD

Audio~~Chip 15:22 18 Dec 08

Still even after succesfully managing to update the BIOS to the latest when installing XP Pro SP2 getting BSOD error. Stop error is 0x00000024 which searching in google relates to Ntfs file problem. Thing is new Seagate HDD, Fully formatted the long option and it does it, mainly when loading the Start Menu Items in the Installation process.

Nvidia GF7200 128MB PCi-Express - New
Segate Barracuda SATAII 250GB - New
FDD combined with Card reader, (Crd Rdr not connected yet)
Intel P4 D920 or D940 3.2GHz 800MHz FSB
x2 DIMMS of 1GB Crucial DDR667MHz in Dual Channel
PSU 600W new and tested ok
Motherboard been unstable from day one (last week) MSI P965 Neo-F Sk775 Bios updated to newest.

I have now disconnected the Audo Front Panel just to see if that changes anything.

Help Please.

cream. 15:31 18 Dec 08

Try 1 stick of ram at a time.
Clean XP cd.
Try a different cdrom/dvd reader.
take out any PCI or PCI-e cards except for the graphics card.

PO79 15:36 18 Dec 08

Try this

Boot the WinXP CD

Enter the Recovery Console by pressing 'r' when prompted.

Then from the command prompt run "chkdsk C: /f"

Audio~~Chip 15:54 18 Dec 08

I did this process yesterday with only 1GB DIMM fitted and it installed XP ok but later started playing up again, I have tried x2 new lots of Crucial memory DDR800 and now this DDR667 both managed to MeMTest Pass.

I take you point re different Drive ! when I got the machine from friend it had a large build-up of very fine thin dust, but a lot of it. When I first opened the drive the tray in DVD wrtr was fairly dusty which I cleaned but couldn't clean within the drive without breaking it open (not something I fancy doing and causing the mechanism to drop out)

I wonder if the Lens of the Wtr is dirty and not reading the XP Pro SP2 CD very well.

I don't see why running a CHKDSK C: /f will help what will it do ? I know of command options CHKDSK /R & /P for recover but its a clean install and should ot need repair.

This motherboard has a JMBMicron SATA Raid controller for RAID and x4 other SATA ports I have it plugged into the JMB Micron Raid port eventhough I don't use Raid, not sure if trying it on the other of the 4 block ? But I thaught using SATA 1 port would be best if I am wrong please tell me.

With it being a Intel P4 CPU, I also did not boot with F6 as I have found from the past Intel do not need F6 SATA install its only AMD CPU's please also correct me if I am wrong.

I think I will try Other sata port next, then if still problems then use a Different DVD Wtr.

Thanks again for your posting!

Audio~~Chip 19:23 18 Dec 08

and now getting Error on loading the XP Pro Files stating hardware error. The fault now is down to dodgy Intel P4 D940 or MSI Motherboard controller ?

Not resoved but I am going to inspect CPU again then replace Motherboard, luckily I have a spare ASRock.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced