MSI K7N2 Delta Platinum Mainboard problem

23790954 11:28 17 Jun 05

As an elderly retired man, I enjoy building and repairing computers for my children and grandchildren. About two weeks ago, I purchased an MSI K7N2 Delta2 Platinum motherboard, together with a Seagate Barracuda 80gig hard drive to build myself a higher standard of computer. I have now completed building the computer, which appears to run excellently when warm, having been run for some time. However when I go to use the computer after a break of several hours, although it goes through the boot-up procedure, it appears to seaze up just before the windows xp logo would appear on screen, and I have to restart it several times before it actually gets into windows xp. Although I am completely ignorant about SATA hard drives, which I have not used, this board states it uses SATA hard drives and I have installed an IDE Seagate hard drive. Would this make any difference to its performance, or can anyone give me any help in repairing this situation. Many thanks for any help given. I run the system on an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ and have 1 gigabyte of DDR 400 memory installed.

Joe R 11:55 17 Jun 05

The type of hard drive you use should not make any difference whatsoever, as the board, accepts both Ide and sata.

It looks like you are having problems with the master boot record

To repair this, follow the instructions in the link below.

click here

leo49 14:29 17 Jun 05

I use this mobo and agree with Joe R that the HDD has no bearing - by default it utilises the IDE which you're using.There's always a slight pause on bootup as it searches for the SATA drivers which aren't installed as you're not using them but then it continues on into Windows.I've never had it stop on me.

The MSI website has an excellent forum attached where detailed knowledgeable help is available.

961 14:38 17 Jun 05

I wonder if it may be worth going into the BIOS (press del on boot up) and selecting "Load fail safe defaults"

If that seems to solve the problem you can then seek to identify which setting(s) is causing the problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…