MSI Fx5600 AGP 8x 256MB Set up

ened 17:22 24 Jan 06

I have never really been happy with the performance of the above card yet the reviews are all good.

Is there a place I can look to see if I have it set up correctly because I feel maybe I am not utilising all the features either.

I do have the latest driver.

Thanks in advance.

ened 17:40 24 Jan 06

Does anybody else have experience of this particular card?

007al 17:47 24 Jan 06

What are you testing it with? In what way do you think its not performing?

ened 17:59 24 Jan 06

I am not testing it with anything but when working on pictures in Elements 2 it takes a while to redraw the pic. Also when changing windows the new window often comes up blank before 'finding' the content.
I hope this explains it but the gist of it is that, apart from messing around with pics. I am not very demanding of it, yet it seems generally slow to respond.

Totally-braindead 18:02 24 Jan 06

It may be the computer rather than the graphics card, have you tried a defrag recently and also could you post the specification of your computer, ie speed, operating system, amount of memory, size of hard drive and amount of hard drive space free. What antivirus do you have and do you use any malware programs such as spybot, adaware or counterspy?

Totally-braindead 18:04 24 Jan 06

Just had a thought, could you right click on the desktop, go to settings and just confirm that its "whatever monitor you have" on FX5600 and also tell us what resolution you have it running at.

007al 18:07 24 Jan 06

As Totally-braindead saya,we need your spec.Y ou could also check in BIOS to see wther its running at 8xAGP and not 2x or 4x

ened 18:26 24 Jan 06

That is something I hadn't checked.

Totally-braindead Thanks for your contribution. I run spybot regularly and am using avg free edition plus Trend Micro online once a month. I am running an Amd 2.5 with a gig of memory and 50% free on my main(120gig)HDD.

I am about to close down to check the BIOS then have to go out.

Will report back tomorrow but would appreciate it if in the meantime anybody else uses this card if they have any hints.

Totally-braindead 18:31 24 Jan 06

If you believe it is the graphics card and there are no exclamation marks in device manager under control panel then you could try the latest driver from Nvidia click here

ened 18:45 24 Jan 06

I have just checked the BIOS and the only thing I could see was the AGP Aperture size was set at 32Mb. I have changed it to 256 but don't really understand this and am hoping I have done the right thing.
Have I?

PaulB2005 18:55 24 Jan 06

It should be set to 2x the graphics memory or the largest value you can. Not that it'll make much differnce....

Is Elements 2 Photo-shop Elements 2?

Aren't these sort of programs more CPU (Processor) intensive than GPU (Graphics Card)?

Although a graphics card does make graphics, a desktop gaming card doesn't contribute much to 3D modelling or photo editing software (as far as it understand it anyway). These programs are used by the CPU (in conjunction with the RAM).

Graphics cards come into their own for 3D gaming rather than photo editing, so i fear the emphasis on the graphics card maybe mis-placed.

But of course i might well be totally wrong....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…