MSI DR8 A2 will recognise some discs but not other

no way 22:54 21 Dec 04

Hi

Recently Ive had to do a complete rebuild of my system due to a faulty CPU. From the old old system I managed to salvege all the parts, minus the cpu and motherboard.
Since the rebuild Ive been having problems with both my MSI rewriter and my unbranded DVD reader. The unbranded reader fails to read any discs at all, and will likely end up in the bin after Christmas. But the rewriter is "half" working.
It seems it will only read "official" discs, anything commercially produced. But any of the discs I had previously written to (CD and DVD) - which contain one hell of a lot of data I backed up- generally cause me greif.
When I insert a disc into the drive this light will come on and it will spin up to speed. When I open My Computer to open the disc, the drive will either:
a) report the name of the previous disc in the driver or
b) not report the name at all.
When I try to open the disc the system will then either hang, or I get a message telling me to insert a disc.
The drive is currently set to Secondary Master (and is the only drive on the secondary IDE now), there are no bent pins and what-not. I installed the latest firmware on the drive on my previous system, so thats not it either. If its needed, my Motherboard is an MSI K7N2 Delta 2 (nForce2 chipset, latest drivers). I have an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (~2ghz), and 1 gb of ram.
I have also checked the DMA settings for the drive, they were set to "Let Bios Select Transfer Mode", but I have changed this to "Ultra DMA 2 - Ultra33". (other options there include Ultra DMA 1, Ultra DMA 0, Multi-Word DMA 2/1/0 and PI0 Mode)
I have also taken advice from CDFreaks saying to check for ATIP Hider software (also called CDR media hider) and have found nothing, although Im not certain about this.

All help much appreciated :D

john-232317 08:39 22 Dec 04

If you have the discs for them try loading the drivers, or go to the websites and get the latest drivers.

no way 10:36 22 Dec 04

Drivers arent an option Im afraid. MSI provide no drivers at all for the DVD rewriter, and I wouldnt know where to start looking for them for the unbranded drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…