MSI-6340 - KT133 chipset - USB2 support?

georgemac 22:22 25 Oct 04

I have 2 friends with this motherboard, in Time UK PC's. They both want to get broadband connections & the ISP provides a free USB modem which requires a USB2 connection.

It drove the first friend crazy trying to connect the broadband modem to usb1.1 until he found out it needed usb 2, so he bought a pci usb card to get round the problem. Now connected.

I could do the same for the 2nd friend, but is this pci card really needed?

If I load the latest via 4 in 1 drivers (which are backward compatible with all via chipsets according to the website) will this upgrade USB to USB2? Running XP and if SP1 is not on there I can put it or SP2 on.

hillybilly 23:35 25 Oct 04

"If I load the latest via 4 in 1 drivers (which are backward compatible with all via chipsets according to the website) will this upgrade USB to USB2?"

No not if using XP o/system.

"Running XP and if SP1 is not on there I can put it or SP2 on."

You need to have either SP1 or SP2 to have the USB2 drivers, and you might find that even with Via 4 in 1 drivers you will still need a PCI card that does not have a VIA chipset. There has been a known prob with Via chipsets and USB modems for some time, I always try and fit PCI card with a Lucent chipset.

georgemac 07:07 26 Oct 04

thanks, have been reading a bit more and ow understand the motherboard in all likelyhood only has usb1.1 - appaerntly the only way to find out is to see if there is an "enhanced usb controller" in device manager

USB modems - do these need a USB2 connection or is it possible the problem is with the via chipset only?

so if I can get over the compatibility problem will I be able to run a usb modem with a usb1.1 connection?

hillybilly 09:05 26 Oct 04

"enhanced usb controller" in device manager, when you see that you have USB 2.0 but you must also have that SP1

Most modems will run whether you hgave 1.1 or 2 albeit a tad slower, though I doubt if you would notice the difference, you major prob is still likely to be the chipset. PCI cards are very cheap and as long as you have a spare slot, it is by far the best way to go!

georgemac 11:10 26 Oct 04

thanks, will speak to her tonight, personally don't see the point in paying for what you don't need, cards are £20 to £25

could get a pci adsl modem is another option but the usb2 ports will probably come in handy for them in the future

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant