mshta.exe

ivesy 20:39 01 Jun 05

I've just put my PC on and it's asking me to enter a password before I can use windows! Since me and my partner haven't set this up I just selected enter without putting a password in. Luckily it let me through to the desktop. Wondering how this could happen I went to help and support and searched on password I then selected user accounts 'select the way users log on or off' when I do this Mcaffe tells me a suspicious script has been detected and the file mshta.exe contains suspicious scripting activity and has been stopped. Any ideas what this and how I can get rid of this problem would be appreciated.

VoG II 20:41 01 Jun 05
  ivesy 21:05 01 Jun 05

Thank you for the quick response Vog. According to Mcaffe "the script is attempting to call the RegRead method within IWshShell3 object. Does this shed anymore light on it? Thing is I'm panicing this could be some sort of key logger?

VoG II 21:10 01 Jun 05

No I think that the file is legitimate. McAfee thinks that all sorts of things are suspicious but they are not always malicious of course.

If you are worried about key loggers etc. run a² click here

If you just have the one user account and you don't want to enter a password then Start, Run, type in

control userpasswords2

and click OK. Untick "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer".

Joe R 21:10 01 Jun 05

ivesy,

this file will cause no harm to your P.C.

ivesy 19:33 02 Jun 05

I've ran A2 and that found a few malware programs and deleted them. I can't thank you enough for putting my mind at rest cheers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017