msgsvr32 not responding - win98 se

NEC 10:01 24 Apr 03

This is the problem

On switch on, all goes well with the background loading, the icons on the desktop loading, then the "Start" button and the bottom left hand toolbar icons.

When it gets to loading systray, the clock comes up, but then the cursor simply displays the hourglass and nothing more happens.

Usually there are five or six icons for the AV, Volume, etc, but these do not appear.

If you hit "Ctrl-Alt-Del" it appears that "Msgsvr32 is not responding. If you
hit "End task", often the desk will reappear and the remaining icons will then appear. However, the system is unstable, and invariable stops shortly thereafter - for example, if I load two spreadhseets in Excel.

If you press "C-A-D" to re-boot, it will simply hang altogether.

Any ideas?

Gongoozler 10:18 24 Apr 03

Hi NEC. Try disabling some of the start-up programs via msconfig to see which one is giving you the problem. (Start - Run, type in msconfig, and click on OK. Then select the Startup tab, and click to remove the tick from the box alongside the appropriate program). Don't disable any of the essential Windows programs. If you have any doubts, post back here with what programs are in the list.

JoeC 12:04 24 Apr 03
  sardinas 18:04 29 Jun 03

NEC,

I have want seems to be the same basic problem with 98.

I have found a reference on the site which JoeC provided.(under "others" at the bottom)

There is a description of the problem here.(below)

But this is only found with a combination of 3 items -which is not the case in my situation.

I don't know if there are other condituons which produce this error.

Sardinas

When you start your computer, you may experience all of the following symptoms:
Your computer stops responding (hangs). -and- When you press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, MSGSRV32 is listed as Not Responding in the Close Program dialog box.
click here (W98/se/ME Jan. 29, 2002)

Wak 19:18 29 Jun 03

In Win98SE, the msgsrv32.exe file is in C:\windows/ system.
Have you tried running the System File Checker??
Go to Start/ Run and type SFC in the box. Click OK and have your System disc ready in case it's wanted.

spikeychris 19:31 29 Jun 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…