Msgsrv32 Windows 98 Shut down problem

Cous Cous 21:22 29 Apr 03

When shutting down I get the following message:

Msgsrv32
An error has occured in your program. To keep working anyway, click ignore and save your work to a new file. To quit this program, click close. You will lose information you entered since your last save.

Clicking ignore does nothing, whilst if I click close it proceeds to the 'please wait while windows shuts down' screen, and then does nothing more.

I then turn the computer off. Next time I turn it on everything seems fine, ie no message saying that windows did not shut down properly etc.

How can I stop this message from appearing?

sunnysingh 21:52 29 Apr 03

The chip on the board is the culprit. You should receive any of the following errors when you try and shut down or restart Windows 98.

MSGSRV32.EXE caused a general protection fault in module CM8330SB.DRV, EXPLORER caused a general protection fault in module CM8330SB.DRV or MSGSRV32.EXE: An error has occurred in your program. To keep working anyway, click ignore and save your work in a new file. To quit this program, click Close. You will lose information you entered since your last save. When you receive either of these error messages, your computer stops responding or hangs.

These error messages occur because the MB uses a sound card based on the C-Media CMI8330 sound chip, or a modem that also uses the C-Media CMI8330 sound chip. This sound chip is used as the basis for several sound cards, and is also used with some modems.

To resolve this, contact the manufacturer of your sound card or modem to obtain an updated driver. You can also contact the manufacturer of the chip and try the C-Media Windows 98 sound card driver version 4.10.00.0152 or later available on the following C-Media Web site:

click here

Follow the links on this site to the drivers.

Here's a possible work around on this issue:

1. Restart your computer in Safe mode. To do so, restart your computer, press and hold down the CTRL key until you see the Windows 98 Startup menu, and then choose Safe Mode.

2. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.

3. Click the Device Manager tab.

4. Double-click the Sound, Video And Game Controllers branch to expand it.

5. Click your sound card, and then click Properties.

6. On the Drivers tab, click Driver File Details. Check to see that you are using the Cm8330sb.drv driver.

7. On the General tab, click to select the Disable In This Hardware Profile check box.

8. Click OK, and then click Close.

9. Restart your computer normally

VoG™ 21:56 29 Apr 03

Sound card or modem drivers need updating? click here

VoG™ 21:57 29 Apr 03

Doh! I was too slow sunnysingh!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…