msgsrv32 problem

march 12:11 30 Nov 04

when trying to put computer on standby 'msgsrv32 not responding' appears.

running win98 & have had a look on the windows help site & it says
Quit any running programs, and then test to determine if a specific program is causing this behavior. If you quit all running programs and the issue is resolved, one of the programs that was running is the cause of this behavior. If this does not resolve the issue, continue to step 2.

I know this might sound thick but can someone explain to me how to quit the programs & test specific ones & also if I find which one is causing the problem how do I resolve it?

ps.screensavers are not the cause.

ACOLYTE 12:21 30 Nov 04

May be a power managment problem,or even shut down/stratup wave click here

may help.

march 12:32 30 Nov 04

thanks ACOLYTE, had a look there & then checked audio devices .

under audio devices I have
audio driver for
audio driver for

under midi devices & instruments
midi for

under mixer devices
mixer for
they all state; driver enabled but inactive due to an unknown problem

how do I find what the unknown problem is?

march 12:35 30 Nov 04

just a thought do I just need to'enable drivers' & if so how?

ACOLYTE 12:40 30 Nov 04

Have you run a SFC to see if the file is corrupt in some way,there could be many different causes for the error,have you ran a virus scan,or spyware scan,have you pressed ctrl/alt/del to see whats running you can end the tasks from there of none responsive apps.You could try strart/run and typing msconfig then look in stratup list see if there is somthing you dont recognise,to troubleshoot you may need to untick things and resart one at a time and see if the error still happens,if it doesnt go back to msconfig tick what you unticked and untick something else,it may take a while.You could also try ending tasks that appear in the task bar see if that helps.

ACOLYTE 12:44 30 Nov 04

click here dload this see whats running on your pc.
To eneble a device you select it and select use this device (enable) sorry im a bit vague i havent used 98 in ages.

march 12:55 30 Nov 04

ran virus check all ok,

msconfig says normal start up & under startup list everything looks ok only thing I dont know what this is

sp c:\sp.exe

ran sfc & all ok

ACOLYTE 13:02 30 Nov 04

click here any help?

ACOLYTE 13:03 30 Nov 04

click here or this.

march 13:06 30 Nov 04

ok thanks will read them & already noticed this on first site

not detected by avg, try to delete the executable c:\sp.exe, if you cant delete it from windows, go to the command prompt and delete it there. the file has not caused any damage to my computer, only some worries on how it got onto my drive.

will post again in a while

ACOLYTE 13:10 30 Nov 04

In second link i gave it says it could be a keylogger of some kind,you may need to go into safe mode to delete,and it may be hidden so you may have to set files and folders to show hidden files.Hope you sort it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…