MSE won't install

Muergo 01:10 21 Oct 10

I was notified that MSE2011 was available now.

I downloaded into Firefox as I usually do into saved file.
Went to install and on clicking "RUN" it flashed up that it was not "a valid Windows 32 application"

What am I doing wrong? I had it installed previously on XP.

mooly 07:22 21 Oct 10

A new version of MSE was available a few days ago but it should notify via MSE pop up in tray asking for you to update.
If you open MSE and click the little arrow next to "help" and select "About MSE" it should now be on version 1.0.2498.0

There are many fake MSE applications around apparently.

Nontek 08:56 21 Oct 10

I have just tried to upgrade mine in the normal way, as described by you, but I apparently have the latest update already - in my case Version 1.0.1611.0. I do have auto-update set. ??

birdface 08:59 21 Oct 10

I think Muergo is getting mixed up with Windows Live Essentials.
And not MSE.

Nontek 09:00 21 Oct 10

PS - using XP (SP3).

Muergo 11:12 21 Oct 10

I think you are right buteman, I am getting the two applications confused, another senile moment.
I had the message about Windows Live Essentials sent to me by my weekly "Windows Secrets" newsletter and clicked on that link.
But why would that not update/install on XP SP3? I thought I had this package downloaded ages ago.

mooly 11:17 21 Oct 10

That's a very old version you have,
click here

Nontek 11:51 21 Oct 10

Many thanks - now have latest from your link.

Muergo 13:23 21 Oct 10

1.93.186.0 is the version of Microsoft Security Essentials shown on my screen.and that is continuously updated.

What I also don't understand is when I click on "versions" MSE takes me straight to Acronis Backup.

It also lists a quarantined item Win32/PowerReg Scheduler which it says should be removed as it is unwanted and a vulnerability.
This is not listed in any program list, how do I extract and delete it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…