MSE security client installation error

Sparkly 07:55 04 Feb 11

Morning all been trying to put MSE on a pc for a freind and after downloading and running the installation i get this message,
The microsoft security client installation wizard cant find files that are necessary to complete the installation.
To install this program please download the installation again from the microsoft security client web site.
I have downloaded from them saved it and ran it still no luck, never had this prob before, any ideas would be welcome.
Allso tried in safe mode same result.
emachine 750
P4 1.70GHZ 224mb ram
XP home ver 2003
SP 3

BurrWalnut 08:56 04 Feb 11

I’ve seen a similar error where the installation asks for mp_ambits.msi.

If this is the same as yours, browse to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\Backup\msse.msi and it should continue installing.

Sparkly 09:55 04 Feb 11

Hi BurrWalnut and thanks,
Just had a look in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\Backup\msse.msi"
no mse listed allso downloaded AVG free with the same results more or less avg installer screen starts then get message
Severity:Error
Error Code 0xE0018D04
Error message: invalid binary update file.
Additional message:An unexpected runtime error occurred.
Context:Initialization of the avg online installer.
What is going on?

iscanut 10:20 04 Feb 11

If AVG is still installed, have you tried to uninstall this before trying MSE ? Use this if you have problems click here
Also try Revo Free if necessary click here

Sparkly 10:34 04 Feb 11

Hi iscanut i have uninstalled avg6 with Revo and still the same with AVG and MSE neither will install.
Ran MBam found and removed 51 infections but still not having it.

iscanut 10:37 04 Feb 11

The low amount of Ram is not the problem is it ? Will MSE work with XP ?

iscanut 10:39 04 Feb 11

Have just checked and system would seem to be OK ( just ! )

Minimum system requirements for Microsoft Security Essentials

Operating System: Genuine Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3); Windows Vista (Gold, Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 2); Windows 7

* For Windows XP, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 500 MHz or higher, and 256 MB RAM or higher.
* For Windows Vista and Windows 7, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 1.0 GHz or higher, and 1 GB RAM or higher.
* VGA display of 800 × 600 or higher.
* 200 MB of available hard disk space.
* An Internet connection is required for installation and to download the latest virus and spyware definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials.
* Internet Browser:
o Windows Internet Explorer 6.0 or later.
o Mozilla Firefox 2.0 or later.
* Microsoft Security Essentials also supports Windows XP Mode in Windows 7. For more information, see the system requirements for Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5