MSE, one to watch. Might be released today.

mooly 09:06 29 Sep 09

The rumour mill suggests Microsoft Security Essentials "may" be released sometime today.
MSE is the free security package from Microsoft, you can read more about it here,
click here

click here

I have been very impressed with it so far, would never go back to anything else having seen how smoothly it runs.

birdface 09:44 29 Sep 09

Time will tell.
If it is as good as Windows live One Care or Windows Defender I cannot see anyone being in a rush to install it.
Glad you like it but I am happy with what I have.

birdface 16:21 29 Sep 09

Not the greatest write up from PCA.

click here

4th best of the freebies.

mooly 17:53 29 Sep 09

As you say, time will tell on this one. The PCA review is of the "newly released beta", it's moved on a bit since then :)
I suspect for an average user it will be excellent, offering simplicity and ease of use. One huge advantage being full compatability (problems of which I have experienced first hand with a paid for package that went pear shaped with Vista) and without the problems of uninstalling previous products etc and all the issues that can cause.

My test of any AV product is to run just the one item... and this is where I'm sure so many have problems running more than one... and after a few months image the OS, THEN load it up with whatever you like and see what that finds.
Up to now MSE has been faultless, malwarebytes, superantispyware Kaspersky (trial version) etc have found nothing.

It will be an interesting few weeks I'm sure. I will be interesting to see how it's offered to, how are folk going to know about it.

keverne 18:05 29 Sep 09

click here

I've just put it on my netbook to give it a try.

mooly 18:14 29 Sep 09

I'm just waiting to see if it updates to the final version anytime now :) with a scheduled scan/update check.

mooly 19:36 29 Sep 09

Seems like it will be released to WU (Windows update) later. There's no rush and better to let it update correctly than force a reinstall "over the top" of existing version.

birdface 19:53 29 Sep 09

[ malwarebytes
masuperantispyware Kaspersky (trial version) etc have found nothing.]
What did MSE find if you don't mind me asking.

mooly 20:14 29 Sep 09

:) It found nothing. The test was to see if anything had slipped past MSE.

I have been running the system with ONLY MSE installed... on a clean Vista install, and relying on real time scanning to stop any nasties.
After a period of time I take an image (Acronis) of the system (so I can recover to exactly how it was) and then install other security apps and run those to see if they showed that the system really is clean. They all report it is. Then I recover back to the clean Acronis image.

mooly 11:34 30 Sep 09

the critisism has begun,
click here

oldbeefer2 11:41 30 Sep 09

...Symantec's engineer is the first to knock MSE!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…