MSE often shutdown at boot up

thumbscrew 20:18 29 Jun 10

Ever since I've installed MSE, about one time in every five...sometimes more, sometimes less, it's turned off when I boot up. It's not really a big deal because it always restarts when I click "Start".However, I'd obviously prefer it not to happen. I seem to recall reading somewhere that it may be somehow related to my HP printer, as since I installed it, (The printer) boot up time is much longer, thus confusing MSE. Anyone experiencing anything similar?

northumbria61 22:02 29 Jun 10

The SERVICES required for MSE and Action Center must be set at Automatic and NOT Delayed Automatic. The services in question are Windows Installer Service, Cryptographic Services and BITS.

thumbscrew 22:14 29 Jun 10

Greetings Northumbria and thanks for the reply. Even though I'm grateful I'm baffled. How do I find these services....where are they and how do I reset them?

northumbria61 22:56 29 Jun 10

You can access via Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - (or click Start - Run - type in services.msc) scroll down the list to find
1. BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service)
2. Cryptographic Services
3. Windows Installer Service

Right Click on 1 - select PROPERTIES - In "Startup Type" Box change to AUTOMATIC - click APPLY then OK

Do the same for 2 & 3

thumbscrew 23:10 29 Jun 10

Thanks pal, found it and they're already set to automatic.

northumbria61 23:25 29 Jun 10

Any security software still installed? A possible reason for this problem is that you have conflicting security software installed fully or partially on the PC. Remove all other security software from the PC

thumbscrew 23:51 29 Jun 10

I've got Spywareblaster and Malwarebytes.

Sea Urchin 09:24 30 Jun 10

But did you not have an anti-virus program before you installed MSE? If so then you probably have remnants of that still in the registry - and need to run the appropriate removal tool.

gengiscant 09:47 30 Jun 10

I had nothing but trouble with MSE, it too would only start on occasions, so out it went, which then caused its own problems as it seem to leave lots of reg entries which caused BSOD's and difficulties when trying to install an alternative.
I,on the advice of a Microsoft forum member removed it totally, and have an alternative Panda Cloud.

northumbria61 11:06 30 Jun 10

gengiscant - I don't use it personally. I have seen too many adverse comments/reviews about it.
I will stick with AVG as I have done for the past 10 years.

onthelimit 11:29 30 Jun 10

I've been using it for 9 mths and it's been flawless.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…