MSDOS programs not running correctly EMS error

CLONNEN 13:02 02 Aug 05

I have been going through my collection of old DOS games and trying them on Windows ME and XP.

Something strange seems to be going on with the Windows ME MSDOS Prompt. Programs keep telling me that EMS is not installed and that the game cannot run in the memory available.

How do I turn on the EMS part of MSDOS Prompt?

When I right-click on MSDOS Prompt and click Properties the Memory tab shows EMS with a blanked out section beneath it. ie. it is not saying Auto and a list of numbers like all the other sections.

CLONNEN 13:37 02 Aug 05

The games I am having trouble with play fine on my brother's Windows ME computer.

Presumably one of the files that EMS relies on is corrupted on my computer.

Is there any way of uninstalling and then reinstalling MSDOS Prompt from the Windows ME cdrom?

Or could I just copy the system files from my brother's computer onto mine to fix it? If so, which files would I need?

seedie 14:30 02 Aug 05

I think ME needs the line below in a file called config.sys

You may not get sound from older games like Doom, Doom2 that genre; I do believe it is something to do with the motherbd not supporting non-maskable interrupts but not sure.

Good luck

ACOLYTE 15:07 02 Aug 05

Some does games just wont run on XP machines as its doesnt use the DOS normal enviorment,you could try running the games in compatability mode
and select windows 98 as the OS,may work may not.

woodchip 15:26 02 Aug 05

As seedie, it's Extended Memory setting in the Config file. You have to load it. See Config.txt in the Windows Folder

CLONNEN 17:07 02 Aug 05

I have TRIED adding the following lines :

to CONFIG.SYS on the C drive but when I restart my computer it renames it to CONFIG.BAK and creates a new blank CONFIG.SYS file instead.

Don't know what is resetting it HOW do I get the line to STAY in the CONFIG.SYS file so that EMM386.EXE can actually start?

I do have Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy and also AVG Antivirus on my system. Could any of these be protecting the CONFIG.SYS file? Should I disable them?

Or is it the Windows Protection that's preventing changes to the CONFIG.SYS file?

I've checked on my brother's machine and his CONFIG.SYS file is empty also but his MSDOS Prompt has the EMS box in the Properties screen for all his DOS applications.

woodchip 17:16 02 Aug 05

Try this after you create the file or change it back. Make the File write protected By Right click the file\properties, tick read only and remove any other ticks

CLONNEN 17:31 02 Aug 05

Ticking read only has gotten the CONFIG.SYS file to stay as I have written it.

But MSDOS still doesn't appear to have loaded the EMM386.EXE - the EMS box is still not present on any of my MSDOS Programs in the Properties screen.

woodchip 17:45 02 Aug 05

Double click EMM386.exe file in Windows Folder that will tell you if it's running.

PS after to created the Config file you have to reboot for it to work

CLONNEN 17:46 02 Aug 05

Spoke too soon - even with the read-only box ticked it is still putting a blank file in its place.

Will I have to reinstall Windows to regain EMS functionality?

That's the only way I can think of to reset everything to how it is supposed to be.

Unless anyone has any other ideas?

woodchip 17:52 02 Aug 05

Try running SFC from run box with 98 cd in comp

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…