Newuser2533 20:13 22 Jun 06

I have XP and will prob get Vista when it arrives. I'm doing a computer course, which I will complete soon....nothing like the knowledge base on this site but further than creating e-mails.
I have the chance to go on a MSDOS course, again basic..10 weeks. Apart from being very interesting will it benifit me in the long term considering the speed of computer development.
I will be trying to learn Visual basic over the winter months and it has been said that an understanding of msdos would be an advantage.
I would be grateful of any comments please.

Totally-braindead 20:22 22 Jun 06

Don't really know if this will help but heres a start click here

Eric10 22:50 22 Jun 06

click here for a basic tutorial. Not much of it will make sense if you try to use it from within Windows XP even from a DOS box as the DOS in XP is just an emulation. On the course they will be using simple PCs with only DOS installed so you will get the true feel of it. Treat it as a dip into history rather than something that will be of great value to you for the future.

terryf 22:59 22 Jun 06

DOS, that takes me back, 1982 I think, remember DrDos? still useful though even the emulation in XP if you want a print-our of the files in a folder by doing a dir>filelist.txt!

terryf 22:59 22 Jun 06

printour should of course be printout

woodchip 23:00 22 Jun 06

MSDOS is only good if you intend using Old Software and working with Old OS's. I use it as I Use Win98se as my main comp. Although I have XP Desktop and XP Laptop all connected to Router Networked also. I still prefer 98se with DOS underneath it. It allows you do things that XP cannot. If Restore does not work most times it a Repair with XP CD. What a Pain

Newuser2533 23:37 23 Jun 06

Thanks for your views. I think I will do the course and get an old 98 laptop to play with.
Regards to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…