msconfig/start up/un-tick all. Need advice

dagbladet 12:11 07 Sep 03

One or two responses to slow machine problems, have been to run msconfig, start up, un-tick all the boxes and restart. When I do a normal win xp boot up i usually have about 13 icons on the lower right task bar, some of which i can understand (Norton etc) and others which just irritate me ie.printer status, real player control centre, network cable unplugged (home PC, no network). Is it really ok to un-tick ALL of the boxes ?
Also when I look at the running processes I have something called "Netropa hot key" going, any ideas what this is ? Thanks folks

powerless 12:15 07 Sep 03

"Is it really ok to un-tick ALL of the boxes ?"

If you want to keep norton then do not untick.

Heres along list for you to compare so you know what your stopping - from starting click here

Netropa hot key - You have a dell keyboard? click here

MAJ 12:17 07 Sep 03

Netropa hot key is to do with your [HP?] Multimedia keyboard, apparently. There are things you'll want running at startup, like Norton for example. Turn things off one at a time and you'll soon see what they are.

Quiller. 12:32 07 Sep 03

" Is it really ok to un-tick ALL of the boxes"

Yes you can with X\P. You can then go back and re-tick what you want running. Or you can leave them all un-ticked.

I would advise that you keep the anti-virus running and your burning software running, if you use cdrw's.

dagbladet 15:52 07 Sep 03

thanks all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This poetic animation about monsters is illustrated in a Van Gogh painterly style

Apple predictions 2017