msconfig/start up/un-tick all. Need advice

dagbladet 12:11 07 Sep 03

One or two responses to slow machine problems, have been to run msconfig, start up, un-tick all the boxes and restart. When I do a normal win xp boot up i usually have about 13 icons on the lower right task bar, some of which i can understand (Norton etc) and others which just irritate me ie.printer status, real player control centre, network cable unplugged (home PC, no network). Is it really ok to un-tick ALL of the boxes ?
Also when I look at the running processes I have something called "Netropa hot key" going, any ideas what this is ? Thanks folks

powerless 12:15 07 Sep 03

"Is it really ok to un-tick ALL of the boxes ?"

If you want to keep norton then do not untick.

Heres along list for you to compare so you know what your stopping - from starting click here

Netropa hot key - You have a dell keyboard? click here

MAJ 12:17 07 Sep 03

Netropa hot key is to do with your [HP?] Multimedia keyboard, apparently. There are things you'll want running at startup, like Norton for example. Turn things off one at a time and you'll soon see what they are.

Quiller. 12:32 07 Sep 03

" Is it really ok to un-tick ALL of the boxes"

Yes you can with X\P. You can then go back and re-tick what you want running. Or you can leave them all un-ticked.

I would advise that you keep the anti-virus running and your burning software running, if you use cdrw's.

dagbladet 15:52 07 Sep 03

thanks all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…