msconfig wont stay on screen

rama 10:16 27 Feb 04

Hi
When I try to access the configuration utility in Win XP the window flashes on to the screen then disapears. I think this has happened because I ran 'Registry Mechanic'. Can anyone give any advice (the Registry Mechanic has lost all backups)

Phil

Diodorus Siculus 10:18 27 Feb 04

Any chance of a system restore to a known good date (before System Mechanic perhaps)?

JIM 11:12 27 Feb 04

if Diodorus Siculus post has no joy,try to extract from Xp disk or try the link,

click here

and download msconfig from WinXP: Ripped from WinXP,

Jester2K 11:17 27 Feb 04

Can you try running Regedit too? if that appears and then disappears its likely to be a virus... click here

Jester2K 11:18 27 Feb 04

I think i misunderstood - i assumed "configuration utility" was MSCONFIG for some reason...

Jester2K 19:00 29 Feb 04

Thanks for your advice, as you say regedit acts the same way. The link you gave me says that it is a Trojan although I cannot find the WUAUMQR.EXE in the windows system folder or the files in the registry. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as the thought of having one of these trojans is quite worrying. By the way AVG antivirus says there are no viruses on my system. Thanks Phil

--------------------------------

please respond in the thread...

Make sure AVG is updated.

Also scan with Stinger click here

JIM 19:30 29 Feb 04

Thanks for update. Sounds as though all is in hand Jester2K.

temp003 04:33 01 Mar 04

Definitely a virus, but there can be a number of them or at least variants which can do this.

Is it sorted yet? If not, update your virus definitions and do a complete scan.

If you have a file on computer called wincfg.scr, that may be the rogue file.

Post back if you have difficulty removing whatever virus it is.

ayrmail 23:45 02 Mar 04

click here
the above was the problem i had sounds the same

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…