MSConfig vs Spybot>Tools>System Startup

Brian-336451 18:49 06 Mar 05

I keep seeing references in the magazine for changing parameters using Windows own utility for Start up etc MS Config.

Sometimes the little utility by that Lin chap is quoted - which is good.

However I find the easiest(because it can be seen on the whole screen) is Spybot (which comes on the PCA disk). You do however have to choose the advanced setup when installing Spybot.

This utility following the path in the title, allows you to read the whole command line for start up applications and untick them rather than erase them. It's also free, and it's really convenient and it's available.

Thoughts?

Diodorus Siculus 19:57 06 Mar 05

Still think that MSConfig is the easiest - as it is built into most versins of Windows.

Start, run, services.msc is a better option for advanced users.

As for MikeLin's control panel, I like it and recommend it to those who want a bit more power than MSConfig.

I don't use spybot so cannot comment fairly.

Gongoozler 21:22 06 Mar 05

You can also use RegSeeker click here. This gives access to some startup items that are hidden from msconfig.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:44 06 Mar 05

Startup Managers:-
WinPatrol click here
STARTUP CONTROL PANEL 2.8 click here

I like win patrol

Brian-336451 18:23 08 Mar 05

of MSConfig is that (unless there's a tweak I don't know) I can't see the whole line, I have to scroll to see it. I can't maximise the window.

In Spybot (and the others presumably) I can see the whole line of text.

In Win98SE, MS Config WOULD maximise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…