MSCONFIG - Startup query?

emmandelo1 16:36 10 May 03

Windows XP Pro. I have loads of unchecked items in the MSCONFIG/Startup window. Is there any way of getting rid of these items altogether rather than just leaving them unchecked?

Legolas 16:42 10 May 03

These items all relate to some hardware/software you have on your system to get rid of them permanently you would have to uninstall the programs/peripherals that they allude to and even then they might still appear, if they are not doing any harm I would leave them be.

powerless 16:45 10 May 03

Start > Run > Type: REGEDIT

Work your way to: (Using the "+"'s)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

Backup your registry first click here

(should be the same as above, but i'm using HOME)

emmandelo1 16:58 10 May 03

Thanks Powerless, I assume that in Regedit I just delete the entries I don't want to appear in the MSCONFIG/Startup list. Why are there some entries in the 'Startupreg' list that already don't appear in the MSCONFIG/Startup list?

powerless 17:10 10 May 03

Yes just delete the entries you do not want. DO NOT delete the startupreg folder, just delete the entries in that folder.

I tried something myself just to test something, all disabled items are in this folder. All enabled items are not.

I'm not sure on your second question.

Backup the registry first before you do anything.

emmandelo1 17:12 10 May 03

Okay thanks again Powerless, I will do as you advise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…