MSconfig - Startup (98SE)

Diemmess 10:24 04 Jan 05

Familiar with, and use "msconfig" to limit the items running at startup, but am embarrassed to see a list of dead items which are unticked but still there. In some cases the items are offshoots of malware which have been uninstalled very thoroughly.

How do I clear this dross? I'm prepared to search the registry, but "feel in my water" that there may be a simpler and obvious way?

Your advice will be used on a "family" computer which lives several miles away. I will be making a personal visit. It will help a lot to have a clear idea when I go!

temp003 10:39 04 Jan 05

There must be a simple program to do this sort of task, but I'm afraid I don't know any myself.

To remove manually the dead unticked entries in msconfig startup tab, note down the locations in the registry first (such as HKLM\Software\...\Run), retick them [this is the silly part], click OK to exit msconfig, then immediately open regedit, navigate to the relevant key, and delete the items on the right.

The startup items in the registry shown in msconfig are usually found in HKEY Local Machine (or HKEY Current User)\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ Current Version\ Run

Highlight Run on the left, find the items on the right, right click the name, delete, confirm.

After the deletions, the items should not appear in msconfig any more.

JIM 10:42 04 Jan 05

is ok and with the time you have spent here i would think you may have the programe already which should clear/delete the starup entries. RegSeeker?

Simsy 11:29 04 Jan 05

are at the registry key as indicated above... but ending with a minus sign;

"...\Run-

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Simsy

Diemmess 11:33 04 Jan 05

Great stuff and many thanks to the rapid response crew.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…