MSCONFIG - Startup

lahorie 00:22 31 Jan 03

can anybody tell me how to get rid of startup programs under msconfig win98SE. The programs have been uninstalled and removed but i still have a link in the startup menu even though they are no longer there.

Any help gratefully received

Djohn 00:59 31 Jan 03

Start/Run, and type the word msconfig in the window. click on startup tab, (Far right), then untick the programs you wish to remove. J.

temp003 01:03 31 Jan 03

If you mean removing the item from msconfig startup itself, you'll have to go to the registry. The key is usually HKEY Local Machine\Software \Microsoft \Windows\Current Version\Run. Msconfig should actually say where the key is.

Lú-tzé 01:05 31 Jan 03

click here

- it will involve a trip into the registry, so only do it if you have a backup and are sure that it is what you want to do.

The entries you want to delete are found in the registry. Some will be found under the Local Machine key and others can be found under the User key.

Path for machine is: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run- (&RunServices-)
You should find most of the entries that you have disabled in MSCONFIG.

Path for User: HKU\Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run-

Select the entries that have been disabled and delete them. This will remove them from the list.

WARNING: Be sure that you delete only the ones you are not using.

Lú-tzé 01:05 31 Jan 03

Too slow again... time I was in bed!

DieSse 01:37 31 Jan 03

If you want to do it without going into the registry, programs such as System Mechanic click here will do so.

lahorie 14:46 31 Jan 03

Thanks everyone

Joe McG 14:50 31 Jan 03

use the following to stop any start-up programs.

Programs-accessories-system tools-system information-tools-system configuration utility-startup.
Then just untick anything you don't want opening on startup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…