Msconfig problems With XP Home

gcs_uk 18:42 06 May 04

My daughter has a Packard Bell running Win XP and has the following prblems :

(1) When trying to run MSCONFIG (from the run option) get an error message which says "Windows cannot find MSCONFIG"

(2) When trying to access Help and Support from the Start Menu get an error message which says "Windows cannot find helpctr.exe"

I have a sneaking suspicion that the two are in some way connected with a recent install of Easyclean - this has now been uninstalled.

Reading through various postings came across one which said should try and do a reinstall of XP unfortunately XP was preinstalled and do not have a backup CD. So do not know how to do this.

Also downloaded fixwinhelpxp but that didnt solve the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

QuickHare 20:09 06 May 04

If you didn't get a CD, then Windows probably resides on the computer somewhere (in case you wanted to install software from it). However, the installation isn't easy to start. However, there is a better approach.

Click Start, Run and type

SFC /scannow

and press enter. This should scan the Windows setup for missing and corrupted files. However, any updates from Windows Update may be lost, so be sure to click here to reinstall them.

Please note that a full backup is advisory before completing this (just in case) and unless you have a firewall, your computer may be vulnerable to the Sasser virus after running SFC.

No personal files will be affected, or files added to your computer since Windows was installed. Have installation discs for other programs handy, just in case.

All other precautions (ie Power failure, alien abduction, etc) apply.

johnnyrocker 20:13 06 May 04

is that really the case that running sfc removes all updates?

johnny.

QuickHare 20:37 06 May 04

KnowledgeBase article 315341 (accesible if you click here;[LN];315341 ) states under After You Perform an In-Place Upgrade that you must reinstall updates. SFC does a very similar job to a reinstall, so it'd be wise to check it out just to be safe.

QuickHare 20:40 06 May 04

The link is a bit faulty. Right-click it, select Copy Shortcut, and paste it into the address line. Copy the bit just after the words "click here" and paste that just after the last bit in the address bar, then press enter from there to view the page.

VoG II 21:06 06 May 04
  QuickHare 21:18 06 May 04

You love replacing URLs, don't you? :-)

Thanks for the tip in the other thread. I can now post KB articles without missing half of them outside the link!

VoG II 21:20 06 May 04

We all have our station in life. Mine is replacing URLs ;o)

gcs_uk 21:38 06 May 04

QuickHare thanks for the advice (and to everyone else)just done what you suggested and all that happened was a small dos window flashed on and off the screen. Is this what should have happened ?

QuickHare 14:50 07 May 04

I've never run SFC in Windows XP before, but it sounds as though the program has run very fast.

Try Start, Run and type "CMD" (without quotes) and then try typing "SFC /scannow" followed by enter, minus the quote marks.

If any errors were returned, then it'll be displayed. Use the X (close) button in the top-right of the box to close it after it has finished.

woodchip 15:06 07 May 04

I ran SFC /CANNOW and all my updates are still these and working as I checked the Windows Updater

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…