msconfig-no boot ini

barty 19:12 16 Sep 04

Hope someone can help me , when i run msconfig there is no boot ini header and when i try to search for it i get file not found .I have the XP installation disk if needed but am not sure how to proceed .Any help will be much appreciated .
Barty

Gongoozler 20:10 16 Sep 04

Boot.ini should be in the C: root. To see it you need to go to Tools - Folder Options and remove the tick from View - Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).

Gongoozler 20:28 16 Sep 04

You didn't say if the absence of a boot.ini file is causing any problem.

For XP Home the boot.ini file should be something like this but without the double line spacing:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect/sos

And for XP Pro:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Gongoozler 20:33 17 Sep 04

Thanks for your advice . I checked in the root drive but boot ini was not there .My computer takes approx. 3-4 minutes to boot up so i was wondering if a malicious program was at work in the background , although my anti virus does not report anything suspicious . Once the computer is up and running , all the programs work o.k. Barty.

----------------------------------------------------

Hi barty. It's best to reply via the "Add a new response to etc" box at the bottom of the page. That way other forum members can contribute to the discussion.

If you are certain that you have no boot.ini file, try the advice given by the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 330184 to recreate a Boot.ini file: click here

barty 21:45 17 Sep 04

Thanks once again , Goongoozler , will try and remember to reply via the response box . I have printed out the article from the knowledge base and will let you know how i get on .
Cheers for now ,Barty.

temp003 23:31 17 Sep 04

Your computer may now be booting from a backed up copy of boot.ini, if the original c:\boot.ini is missing.

See if you can find a folder C:\WINDOWS\pss; inside there should be a file called something like boot.ini.backup or boot.ini.bak or boot.bak. Make a copy of the file, paste it on the C root directory, and rename it to boot.ini.

barty 19:10 21 Sep 04

i downloaded the microsoft article 330184 boot ini missing , followed the instructions to the letter , then could not restart my computer at all . It went so far and then the error message came on screen PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
and would not go any further . I wrote down the options to restart in bios and change boot preferences but all that happened was the same message came up whether in safe mode or from the c.d.
I have two hard disks both formatted for ntfs and by unplugging one and restarting using the c.d. i have finally managed to get the system up and running again Tuesday at19.07 .Before i try and reconnect the other hard disk , does anyone know what went wrong ?
Barty.

Gongoozler 21:32 21 Sep 04

Hi barty. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA is probably telling you that something is trying to access a non-existant or faulty memory location. This message is usually accompanied by other information that may give more clues, but I think it is more likely to just add to the confusion.

Can you remember what might have caused the boot problem in the first place? It could be that the loss of the boot.ini file was only part of the problem and other files have been corrupted. I think that if you have a full Windows XP CD and your other software CDs, the easiest solution could well be to put all your important files on one hard drive set as slave, and then format and reinstall your Windows and programs on the other set as master.

barty 12:29 26 Sep 04

Thanks once again Gongoozler . I set the first boot option to the good drive and disabled any other options ,now i can access the other hard drive but have not been brave enough to do a reformat just yet .
Barty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…