MSCONFIG deleted, and no SFC

Jonah(without the whale) 22:47 07 Jan 04

Running windows 95, I embarked on a tidy up session. At the start I had MSCONFIG, but when I tried to access it later, it does not appear to be available. I tried to recover it using SFC, but that does not work either.
Has anyone any ideas as to where MSCONFIG went? It's as if I've deleted it.

woodchip 22:52 07 Jan 04

Both these files should be in C:\Windows\System folder you can double click the MSCONFIG>EXE to run it also SFC right click and drag to create a shortcut

Jonah(without the whale) 08:44 08 Jan 04

Thanks, Woodship, especially for the quick response. Unfortunately, I tried what you have suggested and MSCONFIG and SFC are not there.
What I cannot understand is, I had tried MSCONFIG earlier in the session and it worked, which suggests that I have deleted it (and SFC) without knowingly doing so. So, it appears to me I don;t have a way of getting them back - unless a reinstall of Windows 95 is necessary (and I have never done this before)- any thoughts?

©®@$? 08:53 08 Jan 04
  xania 09:01 08 Jan 04

Two points. If you've deleted some files, you sdould still find them in the Recycle bin. If so, there you have it. If not, then you will need to reinstall, but you should get away with a reinstall over-the-top. All you need to do is to boot up using a floppy disc with CD drivers and off you go.

Now - two more points.

You will need CD drivers before you can read CDs and Windows 95 floppy does not have this. However, you can get away with any bootable floppy. You can download what you need from here click here.

You also need to know how to run the install. click here explains how to do this to a clean disk. You difference is that you will already have windows installed, and the setup will see this and offer to install into the same folder, which you should accept.

Simsy 10:55 08 Jan 04

for my little sis...

It seems that msconfig does not/did not come with win95.

However you can simply copy the msconfig.exe file from a win98 installation, paste it in to the win95 systems directory and it will work fine.

(Apologies if I have the dierectory wrong.. It might be just the windows directory!)

Good luck,

Jonah(without the whale) 14:21 08 Jan 04

Thanks for all this marvbellous help. I'm at work right now, so I'll get to this (at home) as soon as possible, but that's going to be in a days time.I'll post my (hopefully) happy results soon.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:57 08 Jan 04

You will need a W98 CD......... Copy these files from the appropriate folders from a windows 98 system and copy them to a windows 95 system.>system folder>help folder>help folder>help folder

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:59 08 Jan 04 cut off in my prime....if you do not have a W98 CD you can d/l the files here ;-))

woodchip 19:29 08 Jan 04

I can send both files if you want them just click the envelope to the left

Jonah(without the whale) 20:52 04 Mar 04

Thnaks for all the info folks. My apologies for my silence on this over the last few weeks (especially to woodchip) I've been indisposed big time. I've done what was advised and al is well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…