Msconfig - 'An access denied error was returned

Halmer 10:32 10 Dec 06

while attempting to change a service.You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes'.

The above message has started to appear when I use Msconfig.

I don't log on as anything when I boot my PC up. It just happens! How do I do what it is asking me to do above please?

birdface 10:52 10 Dec 06

You must be logged on as an administrator,Start,Control panel, You must have an account on there,And be signed in as administrator,

birdface 10:52 10 Dec 06

Forgot User Accounts,

Halmer 10:59 10 Dec 06

that's what I can't understand.

It has never asked me to do this previously and as far as I can see I am already signed in as the administrator when I boot the PC up?

birdface 11:07 10 Dec 06

Start ,Control Panel, User Accounts,If it is your own computer your own personal account should be there,If not try logging on to administrator account,You may be asked for password and user name,If not use that account to get into msconfig,If your own account is there, You should be able to sign on as administrator by changing Account,Then change account type,Click as administrator, See if that works,

birdface 11:10 10 Dec 06

No ,Even guest can boot up computer, Just means that you dont use a password or username,Does not mean that you are signed up as administrator ,But you can chack when you go into account.

Halmer 11:17 10 Dec 06

There are two accounts buteman.

Computer Adminstrator

Guest account which is off.

The picture by the Administrator account is a chessboard which is the same as the one that shows at the top of the window when I press 'start' in the bottom left hand corner.

Hence, I am assuming that I am logging in automatically without a password as the Administrator. So if I am why wont it let me change the start up items?

Halmer 11:21 10 Dec 06

it will let me defrag and I though only Administrators were allowed to do this?

rawprawn 11:57 10 Dec 06

Start your computer in safe mode (Tap F8 while booting) there you will find you are able to log on as Administrator, do so then change the service you want.

Halmer 12:37 10 Dec 06

that it actually letting me change it even though it indicates it wont!

dkuk2000 23:24 10 Apr 07

I've just started getting the
"while attempting to change a service.You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes" message when trying to use msconfig.

I have an administrator account and have tried other administrator accounts but no luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac