msconfig access denied?

Snrub 17:28 14 Jun 09

I have slow start up when switching on the system tray takes ages to load up. Using msconfig to edit the start up I now receive "An Access Denied error was returned whilst attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make specified changes". I could always access and make changes until recently. Any ideas please on how to correct this fault??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:36 14 Jun 09

Boot to safemode select the Administrator Log on and when logged in go into control panel Users and change your profie to administrator.

mfletch 18:42 14 Jun 09

Id would also download the free version of MBAM and do a quick scan just to check for any nasties

MBAM/ Malwarebytes/ Antimalware click here

WhiteTruckMan 00:32 15 Jun 09

Access msconfig from safe mode.

WTM

Snrub 14:18 15 Jun 09

Tried Malwarebytes which came up with 5 nasties which have eluded other scanning programmes.
1. Dialer Reg Key which has been disconnecting broadband.
2. Disabled.Security Center disabling firewall
3. Disabled.Security Center disabling vius protection.
4. Trojan.Agent file
5. Trojan.Agent file

Still left with slow start up, slow IE8 browser which freezes.
Can anyone recommend next step like a PC tune up package or other, please???

T I M B O 14:24 15 Jun 09

If msconfig is not playing ball, then maybe a glance at this could also be of use to you.

click here

Another friend of mine had IE 8, i deleted that & hey presto. If IE 8 is not in add & remove, then do a system restore b4 the install.

Best of luck !

Snrub 15:17 15 Jun 09

I dont think its IE8 causing slow web site retrieval because its the same with other browsers. Think my PC is in need of a "tune-up" programme - any ideas please, something preferably simple and free??

mfletch 16:19 15 Jun 09

Delete all Internet temp files and cookies,

Tools>Internet options>Genral>Browsing history>delete

Also stop some add-ons to see if any of them are slowing the browser down

Tools>Manage add-ons

Taff™ 16:28 15 Jun 09

The two that malwarebytes caught out (2 & 3) suggest that you need to run a complete virus scan before anything else. I wouldn`t go down the PC "Tune Up" route as such. Try Ccleaner to get rid of temp files etc and use it`s Start Up tool to check what`s loading at start up (It`s a user friendly version of msconfig) and then the Registry Tool to fix problems. I`d also then run a couple of other malware scans with perhaps asquared or superantispyware - both deep scans.

Snrub 17:11 16 Jun 09

Hi Taff followed your suggestions one by one and have now a computer with broadband that actually works very well. Many thanks.
Ccleaner which I updated from an old version was exceptional, solved the browser problems and edited the start up programmes brilliantly. asquared found lots of problems (trojans,high risk cookies) which has evaded many other virus scanners, so did superantispyware.
I am running the McAfee suite provided by BT which disappointingly did not find faults found in the above scans, but would like to run additionally a two-way firewall so I can see whats happening? Any suitable firewalls to recommend compatible with McAfee? Thinking about Outpost, Zone-Alarm, Comodo. ANY IDEAS PLEASE???

T I M B O 17:17 16 Jun 09

I use this for my firewall, works very well >> click here

Without reading all the text, did you also scan with malwarebytes? >> click here

Be sure to scan while the pc is not connected to the internet and do a FULL !! scan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac