Msconfig

jim63 09:59 12 May 08

I am trying to find which programme is causing a blue screen ( not blue screen of death). Which can i disable in Services without effecting pc

OK Computer 10:27 12 May 08

I wouldn't look at services necessarily, you might cause yourself problems. To begin with I'd look at disabling items in Startup instead. You could literally disable all and add them back one by one until the problem re-occurs. When you say blue screen, but not blue screen of death, what do you mean exactly? Are you running XP Pro or Vista?

Les28 10:40 12 May 08

Do you mean a blue background on your desktop? If using XP, right click a blank area of desktop, left click properties, select the Desktop tab and pick what background you want from the list, then apply and OK.

jim63 14:12 12 May 08

This is what I posted before. I have a "whatever happens support package" but they have tried to cure problem but unable to do so: "When I boot up everything loads fine and then a blue screen appears for approx 20 seconds before desktop appears with all the icons. Is this normal. I have Vista"

crosstrainer
Thu, [email protected]:06

Check In

Control panel > problems and error reports > view problems.

This is not normal, and indicates a problem with a driver or programme.

jim63
Fri, [email protected]:18

Still having same problem.Unable to find what has caused it

jim63 14:14 12 May 08

I did disable all services and no blue screen appear but I could not get an internet connection so I enabled all services again and blue screen appeared again.

Les28 17:21 12 May 08

I tend to agree with OK Computer about trying with startup tab in msconfig first.

You say you've disabled services in msconfig and didn't have the blue screen problem, I assume you ticked Hide all microsoft services box on the services tab and just disabled the other non MS running services.

Maybe you'd be best to make a list of all the non microsoft services that are running in msconfig services tab,close msconfig, then click Start/Orb then Run and type services.msc and disable one at a time in services by double clicking on them in the list there and stopping them and changing startup type to disabled and then rebooting the computer each time, if no luck restart that service as it was and try the next one from your list, do check out for any dependencies these services may have with another service on the dependencies tab and the obvious anti virus and any anti spyware services if you think they need stopping be disconnected from the internet when you do it.

As OK Computer said you may cause yourself more problems, so I think I'd do a Google search to find out what each of these non microsoft services are for before stopping and disabling any in services.msc.

bobbybowls 17:33 12 May 08

try this site click here for info on windows configurations.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos