mscolor.exe or mscolour.exe?

pj123 12:15 17 Nov 04

Just had this email from a friend:

"I have now got avg free and have run a full test,( took about an hour) no vireses found swicted off computer, swicted on and same warning came up
cannot find file mscolour exe (or one of its components) make sure path file are correct and library are availabe.
when I press o k I get could not load or run in win ini file or remove"

I have tried a Google search but no response.

Anybody any ideas please?

Stuartli 14:23 17 Nov 04

Found there:

click here

click here

the .exes you mention feature UK and US spelling.

pj123 14:41 17 Nov 04

Stuartli, Yes correct. His email said mscolour.exe UK spelling, but I believe if it is anything to do with MS then it would be mscolor US spelling. I tried both spellings in Google but came up with nothing. I have actually checked my own PC for this exe file and found nothing so I suspect it is a virus.

Unfortunately, both your links mean nothing to me.

Stuartli 14:50 17 Nov 04

>> Unfortunately, both your links mean nothing to me.>>

They should have done...:-)

They reveal the potential for a virus.

Incidentally the Microsoft website brings up no references with regard to mscolor or mscolour.

pj123 15:13 17 Nov 04

Stuartli, yes they did give me a suspicion that this was a virus.

I will email him back and tell him to update his virus programme and recheck his computer.

Thanks.

Djohn 15:57 17 Nov 04

Strange that you can't find anything. Google brings up several references to a possible virus, or to be more precise a Trojan.

Get your friend to run an Hijack this log and post here for checking.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…