MSBlast Worm

DRiM 21:01 23 Jan 04

I have just come to use my laptop for the first time in months, only to find it has the MSBlast Worm virus.

I have looked at previous threads on how to remove it and I am getting nowhere.

I am not able to download Stinger, the website for it doesn't seem to be active, so I have used Blaster Remover instead.

After removing the virus (or at least, saying it has) it tries to connect me to microsoft for the patch, only to shut down with the dreaded virus again.

I am obviously doing something wrong, but most of the instructions are Greek to me.

Can anybody help in simple English?

DRiM

VoG II 21:03 23 Jan 04

First Start, Run and type

shutdown -a

and click OK. This will give you more time.

Next, get the MS Patch. Without it you'll be reinfected every time you connect: click here

Then run either Stinger click here or the Norton removal tool click here or Microsoft's tool click here

DRiM 21:15 23 Jan 04

Thanks VoG, but that doesn't work either, I only get another minute, and the download takes 5 minutes!!!

Can I download it to my dektop, transfer it to CD then load and run it on my Laptop?

In Fact, can I do that with all the downloads?

DRiM

Big Elf 21:24 23 Jan 04

Are you typing in the shutdown -a ?

DRiM 21:25 23 Jan 04

I just tried to download to my desktop, no go, probably because my desktop is running 98SE and the downloads are for XP (which is on my infected laptop).

This is probably why I can't get Stinger either.

HELP!!!!

DRiM

DRiM 21:26 23 Jan 04

Yes, there is a space before the hyphen is there?

DRiM

Big Elf 21:28 23 Jan 04

Yes you can download it. Go to the Windows Update site and click on Windows update catalog (if it's not there then click on the Personalize option and add it). Follow the links and look for the KB824146 update and add it to the download basket and save to hard disk. Burn to CD and copy to the laptop.

Yes you can do that with all the updates (as far as I know).

Joe McG 21:29 23 Jan 04

DRiM,

can you recieve e-mail.?

If so i'll e-mail stinger and patch to you.
The size is 2.15 Mb

Big Elf 21:30 23 Jan 04

Even though you're on 98 you should still be able to download stinger. If not and also for the critical update email me and I'll mail them to you.

Always virus check emails from elves, I virus check, but you don't know that.

yes there is a space.

DRiM 21:40 23 Jan 04

Thanks Joe, I can get email OK on my desktop which runs windows 98, is there a way to give you my email address without making it public here?

DRiM

Big Elf 21:42 23 Jan 04

Click on the yellow envelope next to his or my name. I'm on dialup so would be slower to send.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…