MS XP install question -clean install- or not

muscic lover 11:01 22 Oct 05

Not being the most tech person in the world. Is it best to do a Fdisk clean install for win XP or can it be installed over the top of ME? I have the win XP disk and want to 'make the change'.

What else do I need to do (apart from back up my data onto disk...... or do I need the drivers for my DVD and CDRW drives? or will they work quite happily when I reformat the disk.....

Do I need to do anything before I reformat the disk or will it all start up OK? (ish)?

Thanks for your ideas on this!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:17 22 Oct 05

Xp can be installed as an upgrade but it is far better to do a clean install.

Back up your data files but the drivers for your equipment will be different for XP and may already be included in XP anyway

Boot to BIOS and set the first boot device as the CD rom save and exit and boot with the XP CD in the drive press any key to boot from CD when the message appears after the POST screen.

follow the prompts to format the partion where windows me is located and install XP.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:17 22 Oct 05
  splork 11:17 22 Oct 05

It's best to do a clean install, XP Setup will ask if you want to format the destination drive during setup anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…