MS XP Home Support?

J B 10:56 06 Jan 06

Just read this article dated 04/01/06 About support for MS XP Home users. Find it at click here If this is true we are being short changed in more ways than one. J.B.

rawprawn 11:10 06 Jan 06

I have just read that with interest, I am using XP Pro. Have Home users found that auto updates have already stopped?

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:30 06 Jan 06

MS have continued support for other defunct systems well past the so-called cut off date and I'm sure there will be plenty of 'unofficial support (autopatcher etc.) This is something that will not be worrying me in the slightest and if the worst comes to the worst I'll probably be moving with the times and upgrading to Vista...ho hum.

G

Forum Editor 12:09 06 Jan 06

opinion I've asked Microsoft to let me have an official response to this.

They are usually pretty quick to oblige, so stand by, and I'll update you with the information as soon as I have it.

Forum Editor 14:52 06 Jan 06

The official response is that they published the support lifecycle for Windows XP (Professional and Home editions) a long time ago, and the position hasn't changed since then. Support for Win XP Home will be retired (their word, not mine)on 31st December of this year.

I'm not quite sure how that translates as "we are being short changed in more ways than one" - it's hardly as if this has suddenly been sprung on an unsuspecting world. My experience with past versions of Windows has been that by the time the product has reached the end of its published support cycle most people have either migrated to the next Windows version (Vista in this case), or ceased to need dedicated support from Microsoft.

My only point of issue with the Microsoft policy for XP Home is that they appear to have every intention of selling licences right up to the Vista launch date. That is likely to be in the autumn (of this year), and would mean that anyone buying XP Home in, say, August would be supported for only four months. Whether or not that qualifies as 'short-changing' consumers is a matter of opinion, and by then I doubt that there would be much volume anyway. By August there will be so much hype about Vista that people will either stick where they are, and wait to see how things pan out, or go straight into Vista - I can't see too many people opting to upgrade to XP Home at that point.

rawprawn 14:56 06 Jan 06

Thank you for that clarification.

J B 15:18 06 Jan 06

Forum Editor
Thank you for the clarification. Are MS still planning a further Service Pack for XP with some attributes of Vista within the pack? It was my understanding that this was going to happen around the time that Vista is shipped. J.B.

J B 20:10 06 Jan 06

Even though I ticked this thread a resolved Ithought I would bump so more people could see the comments. J.B.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…